Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with rocks

Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Spike

Default Hunting with rocks

Hello everyone I don't know if this is the best place to post this but any help would be much appreciated. Me and a friend were talking about primitive rock hunting and I was wondering what the laws on this topic are? I live in Indiana currently and have checked the DNR website but can find nothing on the topic. Is it open all year long? Is there still a limit as to how many deer? do you need a license? any and all information would be welcome thank you all in advance.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I feel sure that if someone wanted to hunt with a rock there would be seasons and restrictions about it. Do you throw the rock, use a large sling shot, size limit on the rock, type of rock, and how do you want to deliver the rock to the deer? About 10 yeas ago Alabama approved deer hunting with spears, complete with length of spear, spear head type and it being legal during bow season. Welcome to the board, let us know what you find out.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Spike

depeneds on if these are the rocks that fall out of your head or not. seriously you posted this in a whitetail forum. i am new to hunting in general but i have never heared of or seen any such method used to kill anything but the golieth..david
Old 06-20-2011, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

dont know if this is real or not,
but will treat it as a real post(for now)
most states list in regulations whats legal implements for hunting,
if throwing rocks were legal they would list it,
even if it was legal, dont think its at all practical or ethical.
you want to minimize chances of injuring game.
and yes would need a license to hunt/harvest game regardless of how its done.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, only modern day rocks may be used in Indiana. Now, could you go bother some other forum please.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

This must be a joke,but if it was a real and legal way to hunt deer I can't begin to imagin how hard it would be to kill a deer with a rock. A sling is a deadly weapon in the hands of a skilled Shepherd for sure to run a predator off,and I guess a well placed shot to the head could be fatal. It's hard enough killing these animals with bow and gun at times why would anyone want to make it harder with a rock? Indiana has no Rock season by the way.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Spike

Default .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz3qK_97jXE It is an old Native American method to hunt animals and yes people do use rocks. The idea is to sneak up on the deer roughly 10 to 15 feet away and then throw the rock at the back of their head delivering a lethal blow. believe it or not there are people out there that can actually chase the deer down for about a mile until it becomes too tired to continue and then kill it up close and personal with whatever they want. So just because you think it is hard to hunt with a bow/rifle(which it is) doesn't mean it can't be done with rocks or just your two feat and a knife. I'm just curious about the laws on the subject. Thanks to the people who took this seriously and to the others, get the rocks out of your head. The first humans (as we know them) showed up 200,000 years ago and the atlatl roughly 35,000 years ago. Bows didn't show up until roughly 20,000BC what do you think primitive people did sat around and twiddled their thumbs until an animal cooked itself for them? Humans prove that ANYTHING is possible with enough work.

Last edited by cmartsk; 06-20-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

That sounds like a very difficult task you are after. I would call your local dnr agent and just ask. I would guess that you would have to hunt during a regular deer season of some sort. So if you get a big one would you submit it to B&C, P&Y or Fred and Barney?

Last edited by Alltlk4; 06-20-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You would have to have one hell of a pitching arm to pull that off. I don't even know if a pro pitcher could throw hard enough to take down a deer . the players get hit with a fast ball once in a while and they aren't dead at the plate.
seriously that would only work on small game and even then you are going to injure more than you kill.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cmartsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz3qK_97jXE It is an old Native American method to hunt animals and yes people do use rocks. The idea is to sneak up on the deer roughly 10 to 15 feet away and then throw the rock at the back of their head delivering a lethal blow. believe it or not there are people out there that can actually chase the deer down for about a mile until it becomes too tired to continue and then kill it up close and personal with whatever they want. So just because you think it is hard to hunt with a bow/rifle(which it is) doesn't mean it can't be done with rocks or just your two feat and a knife. I'm just curious about the laws on the subject. Thanks to the people who took this seriously and to the others, get the rocks out of your head. The first humans (as we know them) showed up 200,000 years ago and the atlatl roughly 35,000 years ago. Bows didn't show up until roughly 20,000BC what do you think primitive people did sat around and twiddled their thumbs until an animal cooked itself for them? Humans prove that ANYTHING is possible with enough work.

I'm no expert, but I would think that primitive people foraged for plants, scavanged eggs and dead animals, caught some small game, or killed big game with preexisting injuries, etc.

I have a very hard time believing that any person could run down a healthy adult whitetail. I believe the land speed world record for humans is around 24 mph; that is on a perfectly flat course for a very short distance by a person who runs for a living. Most people couldn't run over 15 mph. In average whitetail habitat, you'd be lucky to average 8 mph for half an hour. Even if you were in a perfectly flat plain with short grass that stretched to infinity, the deer could just run a quarter mile and take a break and then run again if necessary. In most whitetail habitat, if the deer gets more than an eigth of a mile away from you it might as well be a hundred miles away - you are never going to find it on foot.

The only way to kill a whitetail with a rock would be to sit in a tree directly over a food plot or trail. And that would be very unethical considering the high likelyhood of having an injured animal escape.

But as to your question, even if using a rock was legal in your state, the applicable seasons and bag limits would apply.

Last edited by Stonewall308; 06-20-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.