Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Conditioned Deer/Accustomed To Smells & Noises >

Conditioned Deer/Accustomed To Smells & Noises

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Conditioned Deer/Accustomed To Smells & Noises

Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I"ve set up feeders.... usually set them for 7:30am and 4:45am in the early season. Can't even begin to count the number of times deer have walked right up to feeder the very first day..... Big bucks.....now that's a different story.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recently just wrote a two part article about this titled "how to kill an urban legend"
That article will be posted next week at www.whitetailjournal.com I have the first part already published and it is posted on there now on the website its title is "How to make urban hunting work for you". Check it out and this will answer some of your questions!
Mike Webster
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard stories and have actually seen where deer will be in a woods and be just as skitish as any other deer. But when a tractor or combine will come out into the feild to work land or something, the deer come out of the woods and graze. calmly. they have come accustom to the farm machinery. I have also heard stories that the owner of the peice of land i use to hunt would drive out to the woods in his tractor, sit there and let it run. and the deer would come out and come right up to the tractor. The same deer everytime. year after year.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Not only state land makes them nervous. Posted property that gets hunted hard is the same way. They learn fast. As far as chain saws go, I used to log and land clear in a lot of urban areas and it attracts them during the winter. After cutting a bunch of trees down the next day there is hundreds of tracks in the snow around the tops. The deer browse the buds off.