Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pen Raised Deer

Old 06-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I respect that humble opinion SJAdventures.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Call it "Canned Shooting" and they can do it all they want! Call it "Hunting" and I'll object every time because it's not whether it's someone who is disabled or in perfect shape. I'm with Todd 100% on this whole thread!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Topgun,

Call what "canned shooting"? Do you, like Todd, know it when you see it? Is it the act of the so called "free range hunter" that steps from his truck to blasts a deer 300-1000 yards away? Perhaps it's the free range coastal hunter who spots a bear while motoring a boat a half mile offshore, kills the motor and drifts inland two hundred yards down wind? I personally watched canned shooters kill free ranging caribou from the road (while in the back of their truck) as these incredible creatures migrated onto the Trans-Tiaga highway. Is it the rifleman perked in a treestand over the most suculant one acre food plot for miles in any direction? The bait hunter? Pick any worse case extreme you want...if it's not your aesthetic, then more than likely you'll call it canned shooting. Is it wrong if it's legal? No, at least not to the person involved. Their motives may be completely different than yours. Do you have to participate in these types of activities? No, you hunt your way and you let others hunt their way. That's the neat thing about being American. We have choices.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why do you keep coming back with more and more BS scenarios that are nothing like we are talking about? If it's to increase your post count, you're doing a good job of it, but it appears that no matter what anyone posts on this thread you are going to object to it because it differs with yours. Then you have the nerve to say: "you hunt your way and you let others hunt their way"! The scenarios you keep presenting are not within a small confined space where the animal has "NO" possibility of escape. All the others you mention are free ranging animals and, although some may be easier to hunt than others, they are still able to go wherever and whenever they choose, unlike "shooting" an animal in an escape-proof pen for a fee, which is what what we are talking about in this thread. Thus, it appears you just want to argue for arguments sake, rather than keeping the thread to it's original intent and focus. I've said all I will say and you can come up with some other goofy argument to justify this canned shooting, but it ain't gonna fly around here!!! IMHO these canned shoots are very detrimental to the future of legitimate hunting when those on the fence are shown videos of the slaughter and told that is what hunting is when they don't know any better. Those are the folks we need to worry about and not the small percentage of antis that are against everything!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-21-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
Altlk4,

More than likely, I would be against it too. But then again, I'm against any portrayal of animals being kill and placed within the public's view. Let's face it, there's nothing pleasant about killing something-although it's a necessary part of wildlife management. I kill. When I do so it's between me, God, and my prey-nobody else. That's how I roll...
I don't disagree with most of what has been written. I am not trying to call someone a hunter or not a hunter at this point. I am just now wanting to point out how bad this looks. I have regressed from the stance at this point that all these hunts are as bad as the other. None of them are for me, however this extreme canned hunting was no more than killing. They bought most of these animals at an auction and brought it to a pen to be released to be killed. It is not sporting and it is not even close to fair. If you want to go hunt in this way then I can't stop you, do as you please. Just don't expect me to hold you in the same regards as other sportsman.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Why do you keep coming back with more and more BS scenarios that are nothing like we are talking about? If it's to increase your post count, you're doing a good job of it, but it appears that no matter what anyone psosts on this thread you are going to object to it because it isn't to your liking. Then you have the nerve to say: "you hunt your way and you let others hunt their way"! Almost all the scenarios you have presented are not within a small confined space where the animal has "NO" possibility of escape. All the others you mention are free ranging animals and, although some may be easier to hunt, they are still able to go wherever and whenever they choose, unlike what we are talking about in this thread. Thus, it appears you just want to argue for argumants sake, rather than keeping the thread to it's original intent and focus. I've said all I will say and you can come up with some other goofy argument to justify this canned shooting , but it ain't goona fly around here!!!
I also agree with the fact that points about road hunters and such are being lumped in with canned hunting. These are similar but different arguments all together. If we want to talk about how people have advantages that are unfair in fair chase situations we need to start a new thread.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

No where in all those quotes did you locate anywhere that I said people should be forced to stop doing this or that it should be made illegal. In fact I have 3 times now stated the exact opposite. So one last time, how am I trying to force anyone to hunt as I do?

You know what it seems like here. You seem like a major league pen hunter who's ego is being hurt by people who have a negative opinion of these places. But you can't admit that so you keep hurling this ridiculous and unfounded accusation that I am trying to force you to hunt like me. Like I said before, if you want to shoot tame animals inside a pen and get gouged for 1000's of dollars doing it then knock yourself out. Despite your rants to the contrary nobody is trying to stop you. I and many, many others just don't consider it hunting. I'm sorry if that pisses you off and you don't feel good about shooting penned animals without the approval of people on the internet. But it's not my job to prop up your ego and make you feel like you have actually accomplished something. My family owns quite a lot of cattle. I could go shoot a cow everyday. But I wouldn't call it hunting or consider it much of an accomplishment however.

I could track down some ex NFL player who's now down on his luck and buy one of his game Jerseys. Would that mean I played in the NFL? Hey what if he happened to be on a championship team and I bought his super bowl ring? Would that mean I was a super bowl champion? LOL! In the mind of a pen hunter I guess it would.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Spike

In our area (West Texas) I am seeing more new high fences to keep deer out of cropland area's. Depending on the terrain, high fence hunting can be challenging, even with feeders. If a rancher feeds his sheep or cattle, the deer will come in and share. Same with exotics. Most landowners try and improve the native white tail population after the fences go up.

Whether or not you think hunting these places is ethical, most try and provide a fun and "real hunting" experience.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

highlonesome---No problem with what you are talking about when it's large acreage like is common down in Texas. The high fence place I used to hunt next to down in the brush country east of Freer was 30,000 acres and sure wasn't "canned" shooting like we are talking about on this thread.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

In our area (West Texas) I am seeing more new high fences to keep deer out of cropland area's.
I stated back in an earlier post that I don't think anyone here is talking about some huge ranch with one fence around the outside perimeter. Iamyourhuckleberry knows the kind of places we are talking about. He's just being intentionally obtuse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.