Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need YOUR ideas on my blind's roof >

Need YOUR ideas on my blind's roof

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need YOUR ideas on my blind's roof

Old 05-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need YOUR ideas on my blind's roof

I've got my new blind almost done. It is 4X8 with a flat 8x12 roof which is composed of 3 4x8 sheets of marine plywood. I'll caulk the seams and reinforce it but I WAS going to just lay a sheet of rubber or something over the plywood. Looking at the prices that stuff is expensive!

What would you guys (gals) suggest to lay over the plywood roof to keep the rain from coming through? Let's use $50 as a maximum cost or thereabouts.

And I really appreciate any help you can give me!

(I didn't take any pics but this blind will be the "mother" of all luxury blinds)...
Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default roofing paper

Just use regular roofing (tar) paper....
Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default hey brotha....

I use Ice&Water shield for my roofs, no fasteners! I then plant climbing vines around the exterior, then cut out the windows and door. Works like a charm, looks like it belongs!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Spike

Ice and water shield works great. I've used this in construction applications several times and love it. It can get costly tho considering you have a pretty large surface to cover. Home Depot sells a version of it that would work pretty well.

Here is the link. .

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have access to 26 or so guage aluminum roof topping I would consider it. Down here I can get enough to cover a blind like that for $20 or less, and you will have an overhang eve to help keep the rain off the windows.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Lot's of great ideas. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well ... here's a sure enough "Redneck" solution. You stated that you have caulked the joints well. Why not paint the roof with a good grade of latex paint. That will definitely shed water. Then plaster the heck out of the joints with black roofing "bull".
Old 05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Spike

I actually shingled mine .
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Shingles don't work on flat roofs! I mentioned before, I'm not a carpenter so didn't try to put an angle on it. And I hate painting.... (yes, I AM lazy)...

It's rolled roofing (tar) paper. Already ordered it.

Last edited by warbirdlover; 05-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Shingles don't work on flat roofs! I mentioned before, I'm not a carpenter so didn't try to put an angle on it. And I hate painting.... (yes, I AM lazy)...

It's rolled roofing (tar) paper. Already ordered it.

Mine also was "flat" with only a slight pitch or lean if you will. It was about 6x4 so the shingles worked perfectly with absolute zero leaks. Theres a picture of it in my album if you go to the page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.