Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How early is TOO early to scout? >

How early is TOO early to scout?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How early is TOO early to scout?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Spike

Better too early than too late , the woods just after hunting season are pristine and you arn't worried about bumping deer,better yet bumping them this time of year is good to bump them as you can gain insight on what and where they are doing. This time of year gives real insightas to what is going own during the rut as scrapes and rubs are still fresh looking.
Once the heat returnes the recon info is limited to what will be going own in the pre- rut . Though valuable info it is not nearly as important as insight as what will be going own during the rut. Also the closer you scout to opening day the lower the impact you need to inflict.
A few things that can come out of summer scouting is this , a good creek crossings in the summer are aften good in the fall, the same with fence crossings and so forth.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Spike

plan ahead of time to take an entire day and walk everything you want to walk and take a notepad and write down notes on what you see and where you see it, any sign that looks promising, scouting is best done right after season closes, if you scout in the summer you are scouting summer feeding patterns which could dramatically change come fall time in some areas or on some farms, scouting right after season gives you fresh sign to follow up on, giving you ideas on some areas you may have missed during season, I say take one day so your not in and out of there many times, once you take notes go home and take time to study them and relate them to what you saw during hunting season and get a good aerial map of the area and draw travel routes and where you saw sign and you can begin to see patterns forming and you'll be able to put together killer strategies for harvesting giants, could go into more detail, but theres my short version, but to your original question sorry i kind've got carried away but scout right after season for, i only summer scout from a distance just to see what kind've bucks are running our properties.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

We scout year round, but we run cows on our hunting ground so we are in their every other day in winter feeding and at least once a week spring through fall. I go up and check cows and cameras same trip, and for the most part the deer aren't spooked much from the pickup or 4 wheeler, but they don't associate them with danger either they just see the cows run to us.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

my friend and i we did alot of deer scouting this new property during turkey season we ran into a few deer but they now have lots of time to calm back down before hunting begins
Old 06-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Start now!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Spike

Its never too early, the first day after the season is the first day of scouting season. That being said, if I want get in to the core area I do it early. We stay out of their core areas from early summer through the fall. If we do go in later on, we make sure the wind is good so we dont contaminate the whole area and also try and just peek in from the edges. The deer need their sanctuary area where they feel safe in the fall.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

At this time I am using trail cams to scout for me when near their bedding areas. I try to stay away from the safe havens they tend to bed in. All year long I keep my eyes open for heavy use trails that can be seen on the edges or glass from a distance when looking over open areas. The farmers are in two of my areas at this time turning and planting the soybean crops or corn for this year so they are use to a little more noise I think than usual. Thats what I'm doing at this time.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

As soon as the snow melts and before green up is the best time to learn a property. Scouting never ends, but looking at buck beds, and patterns, as well as setting up stand sites should already be done.
I would recommend keeping the cameras away from your treestand positions. Mature bucks don't get mature by walking in daylight where human scent gets deposited on a regular basis. Stay away from your tree till its the right day to kill him. Put the cameras back on the field edges.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Spike

never too early to scout!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Spike

I've already started scouting. Never too early to get an idea where the deer are. Keep in mind, like you probably already been told, that deer habits do change from summer to winter, but chances are if you find a good location now it will still hold the deer later. As other have said if you find mature bucks be sure to not pressure them, but you can't hunt em' if you don't know em'. Best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.