HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   The Long Pause (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/344858-long-pause.html)

doetrain 05-20-2011 04:31 AM

The Long Pause

This is that time of the year when I try to pass the time with fishing cook outs and other summer activities,put it seems like the mind is on pause waitng for the deer season activities to kick in. Do you guys stay out of your deer habitat during the summer or do you still scout and try to see what is left from last years season? Do you look for clear sign all summer long or just put out trail cams and stay out of the area's your deer inhabit? I'll be practicing with my bow on and off all summer and making sure my arrows are in good shape but that fills so little of the months we have to wait for the season to draw near. What are your habits from now till September in this period I call the Long Pause?

Sheridan 05-20-2011 09:13 AM

I shoot coyotes & ground squirrels myself, but I'm in SoCal.

WHITETAIL GENERAL 05-20-2011 11:26 AM

i am scouting all year checking cameras and planting food plots. I find ways to keep myself busy as well as shooting bow.

speyrjb 05-20-2011 01:28 PM

I do alot of shooting this time of year, work on loads for my rifles, shoot a lot of skeet etc...until it get's hot :)

Bocajnala 05-20-2011 07:34 PM

I shoot alot, I get out and hike or bicycle, especially in the evenings. I usually get to see a lot of deer then. I stay out of most of my hunting areas except for getting in to keep paths, stands, shooting lanes clear. I don't think you can ever practice shooting enough. And that goes for gun and bow.
-Jake

doetrain 05-21-2011 05:39 PM

Went and checked one of my trail cams today and was so excited to see 3 Bucks and Does coming in to my corn and trophy rocks consistantly over the past 2 weeks. 2 of these Bucks made it through the season in my area,1 is a big bodied 8 pointer I'm hoping puts on some size with the good diet I'm providing him. The other is a nice size 4 pointer I will pass on again this year but I want to help him grow as well,the 3rd one I'm not sure where he is from. One of the Does is a big old gal who will be my first bow shot if I get the chance in early October. I poured Molassas on the corn this time for an extra treat and will take apples in a couple of weeks to keep them as customers at The Doetrain Diner. Thanks for your input so far everyone,keep it coming.

GTOHunter 05-21-2011 11:04 PM

I usually check and maintain my tral camera's all year,right now I'm geting pictures of several Doe's that are carrying Fawns and its neat to see them disapear for a while then one day show up with their young Fawn Babies in tow!I also refresh my mineral licks with Lucky Buck mineral and a new salt block if needed and its neat to see the different Bucks that made it thru last year with their growing Antlers.We haven't had a chance to put out any Spring Food Plots so thats on the list to do any week now and a Friend of mine and myself have been doing a lot of Coyote Hunting so when several Farmers are starting to cut hay and the Coyotes get out looking for feild mice in the newley clean cut feilds I plan on sitting out in the early mornings and late evenings to take a few of them out....gonna get me a new Rifle to reach out and kill a few,plans are to get a CZ-USA Model 527 .204 Bolt-action Rifle in the "American" or "Varmint" and have some Summer fun! ;)