Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shotgun Recommendations For Deer Hunting >

Shotgun Recommendations For Deer Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun Recommendations For Deer Hunting

Old 05-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

a 20ga. will take down deer size game just as quickly as a 12ga without the recoil, the 20ga is somewhat equal to a .50cal muzzleloader
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Mossberg 835 "Combo"......You will also have the option of shooting Sabots or Slugs.....
Old 05-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by doetrain
Do the 20 guage guns have the knock down power they need to drop most good sized bucks and large does? I'm not a gun expert by any means so I'm not that familliar with the 20 guage as a deer gun.
It sure does, unless you're Napoleon, then you need 3" 12ga mag slugs to kill a deer...

20ga has enough juice out to about 200yds using the 1000 ft-lbs of energy formula.

20ga about 260grs, which is about a .338 slug, of course not moving as fast, but I think few would argue if 250grs in a 338 is enough gun for elk...etc...even brown bear?

12 ga....385grs slugs? which is close to the size of a .416remington slug...

these are deer not cape buffalo.

I've witnessed deer shot at less than 50yds with 12ga slugs, think the deer was hit 3times in the heart and just stood there like it wasn't hit, then stumbled away 50 yds.

I really don't see 12ga killing any better than 20ga slugs.

The only deer I've ever seen bang/flop was a doe, probably a yearling or so at about 75yds with a 12ga.

I'd rather make a quality shot with a 20ga slug in the heart/lungs than a bad/who knows where shot with a 12ga.

most 20ga slugs should be lighter guns, less kick, more accurate, it's almost completely a win-win in my view.

I really don't plan to shoot past 200yds with my slug gun.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

I used the Savage 220 F last season here in IN. Great gun dropped one at 220 yards with it.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the continued input everyone,I'm digesting it all with the wife.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went and looked at the Savage 220F and will consider it when I take her to look at the various guns that have been suggested. The Savage was very light and simple to use. I had forgotten about the 44 Mag. single shot rifles we are allowed to use,thanks for mentioning it,I saw a nice 9 pointer a 10 year old got during the youth season last year. He used the 44 mag. and droped that deer in it's tracks at 50 yards with no problem. Also looked at a Mossburg 535 I kind of like it but she will have to decide which one she feels good with.
If you are going to get her a shotgun for slug hunting, has she shot a slug gun before?
Something no one mentioned was that is she of small stature and can she handle the recoil of a slug gun?
Take a look at the 20ga over the 12ga for this reason. I am a Cert. Firearms Instructor for the agency I work for and handle many weapons within my job spectrum and work with women as well. We have to qualify with shotguns and many complain about the recoil and many come to me on advice of a weapon for themselves or wives. I let them shoot my wifes Rem 11-87 Premier 20ga with Cantilever barrel and Nikon scope and at 100yds it will hold with most and slug on the market. I as well have a Mossberg 500 Trophy Slugster with dual comb in 20ga, ported barrel and it shoots great as well. My son has taken 11 deer with it and I have taken 8, one at a lasered 167yds one shot drop.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
If you are going to get her a shotgun for slug hunting, has she shot a slug gun before?
Something no one mentioned was that is she of small stature and can she handle the recoil of a slug gun?
Take a look at the 20ga over the 12ga for this reason. I am a Cert. Firearms Instructor for the agency I work for and handle many weapons within my job spectrum and work with women as well. We have to qualify with shotguns and many complain about the recoil and many come to me on advice of a weapon for themselves or wives. I let them shoot my wifes Rem 11-87 Premier 20ga with Cantilever barrel and Nikon scope and at 100yds it will hold with most and slug on the market. I as well have a Mossberg 500 Trophy Slugster with dual comb in 20ga, ported barrel and it shoots great as well. My son has taken 11 deer with it and I have taken 8, one at a lasered 167yds one shot drop.
I think th 20guage sounds good for her,thanks,
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion the 44 Mag is the way to go. I'd get it in a Marlin 1894 or similar lever action, or even better a Ruger 77.

I would not recommend a pump shotgun over any of the options out there.

I have a Marlin 512 (similar to the Mossberg 695) and it shoots great, but I bought it before Indiana allowed certain rifles. If I had no deer gun and wanted to buy one now, I'd definitely go with a rifle. For a factory round, the 44 is hard to beat. I am seriously tempted by the wildcat rounds that are out there now, like the 358 WSSM. They are getting very good performance.

If the new proposal to allow cases up to 1.8" in length passes, I will be buying a new barrel for my Savage 308, for a wildcat based on the 308 case. Basically just screw on the new barrel and it's done. It will shoot a 200 gr bullet at about 2500 fps.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default 20ga

I think th 20guage sounds good for her,thanks,
Great choice....