Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shotgun Recommendations For Deer Hunting >

Shotgun Recommendations For Deer Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun Recommendations For Deer Hunting

Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

I shot my first deer with a .44 mag, at about 65 yards. Dropped the little 4 point dead. That's also a good choice if you decide to go that route.
-Jake
Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only rifled barrel "shot gun" that I am familiar with is a friend's Rem. 870. I do not recall the barrel length ... maybe 22" - 24" ??? In any event I have seen him at the range sighting in and hunted with Bill for decades. The set-up is 3" chambered, and has a compact Leupold 1.5-6 x 32 mm scope. It shots great groups. He has killed many, many deer with this set-up ... out to about 135 yards. Which as about as far as we get clear shots down this way. I know of none that have gopne far after being hit in the vitals.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Took the wife to Dicks Sporting Goods last night and she tried a couple of the guns they had in stock. She really liked the Mossburg 20 guage with a scope for 275.00,I liked it as well,it was really light and you can change the barrel for turkey hunting as well. I will take her to try the Savage tonight or friday,then the 44 mag rifle.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Mossy 535 thumbhole turkey model with a 20" barrel. It shoots slugs surprisingly well out of an imp cyl choke. Not a long distance gun with the smoothbore, but it shoots cheap slugs great at 50 yards. Mossberg is now making their 500's, 535's, and 835's with adjustable triggers similar to the Accu-Triggers on Savage rifles. Throw on a scope, a rifled barrel, and possibly a thumbhole stock and you have one heck of a slug gun around your price range.

Another option if you are interested in single shots is the H&R slugger. I've never heard anything bad about them.

rw
Old 05-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
Another option if you are interested in single shots is the H&R slugger. I've never heard anything bad about them.

rw

I was going to say that as well. The only negative is the "shotgun trigger"

I'd like their 20ga ultra light weight (whatever they call it). Be like hitting them with a 54cal slug.

I wouldn't go with the 12ga...could end up knocking your teeth out with that gun
Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe a used TC. Then she could jump to a muzzle or rifle easier in the future?

The savage is a good choice also.
If you want to have her give you "favors" then how about the new or shall I say resurrected Browning ABolt!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Two seasons ago there was an article in the paper from my home town about a 9 year old girl that shot and dropped 3 does within 15 min from her stand with a .44 mag. I would recommend that gun to any young hunter or female. I got a H&R Handi for $320 and put a $120 Bushnell scope on it.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Spike

I would definitely check out the Remington 870 Express before you make your decision. I have used one for many years and it has served me very well. It's not fancy, which is good for what I use it for and it's very accurate out to 150yds with the right ammo, they claim even further but I have not tried it.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I shoot a Mossberg 695. It's a bolt action 12 ga slug gun. Shoots awesome. I do not think they are making those anymore, but I've heard great things about the Savage 220F. I personally like shooting bolts over pumps or semi's.
good luck
-Jake
DITTO!!, If you can find one "snap" it up, I see them (used) every now-&-then, (ugly as %$##) but a great shooter and the best part is they can be had on the cheap!!!, I know the savage is a great shooter but, they have had some serious problems (mis-fires) I am not sure if this problem has been solved or not, if it has you can't go wrong, but if it hasn't I am not sure I would want one, jmop Doc

Mossberg 695, 1.5 fixed power scope

Last edited by DocD; 05-19-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do the 20 guage guns have the knock down power they need to drop most good sized bucks and large does? I'm not a gun expert by any means so I'm not that familliar with the 20 guage as a deer gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.