Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tick tips

Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tick tips

I have tried permethrin spray on my clothes but the ticks crawl up so fast I still get bit. Here is what I am doing now. I am wraping 2 wraps of Gorilla brand duct tape around my shins. Get the tape from Lowe's. The sticky side needs to be out. wrap a strip around the bottom to prevent ticks from crawling under the tape. I walked about 200 yards down a path yesterday at my hunt club and already had 8 ticks stuck to the tape. I also had some grass and pine needles stick to me but its the ticks I am worried about. It will not make you tick free but it prevents alot of the blood suckers from getting to meat.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default ticks

Dmax,

If its deer season and I'm worried about odor, then I rely strictly on premethone. but I do seal up the opening between my boots and pants with camo duct tape.

But this time of year, when I out chasin turkeys, I dont worry about the smell too much and just use deep woods off around any clothes openings, boots, wrists and neck.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use to work with some guys that would take two of the flea/tick collars and put them around their ankles, outside their pants legs. Seemed to work.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the permethrin spray isn't working, you're not putting enough on. For turkey season, I use almost a whole can to spray my pants, shirt, jacket & vest. We hunt in deer tick country and have been tick free for years. One application lasts all week. I've watched them take a few steps, start going in odd directions, and die, in just a few seconds. If they're crawling all the way up, use more spray.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Eat a lot of hot peppers! Ticks seem to have an aversion to me and I suspect this is part of the reason.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

I had an interesting situation. we were scouting property. I had on jeans, my friend had on white dress pants straight from work.

He had 20 ticks on him, I had ZERO.
Either he hit a nest, or they were attracted to white.

all dog ticks.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

i'm with hot pepper guy,
what are you guys doing/wearing to make you so attractive to tics?
i go out in deep woods of NY and PA, and rarely ever see a tic,
i dont wearing anything special, no chemicals, no wrapping pants legs,
just jeans or camo gear, long sleeve shirt, etc...
have also fallen asleep in my blind, sleeping on the ground, and still no ticks, numerous other bug bites but no ticks,
Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Spike

I encounter lots of ticks, but only on specific pieces of property I hunt. I don't know why some areas are much more prone to have larger concentrations of ticks than others, considering most of these areas are within an hour drive of each other.
I have had pretty good luck with the permethrin treatment on my clothing, and if not concerned about scent, will also use a repellant on the skin for added protection.
I like the idea of the double-sided tape; I hadn't heard of that method yet. Will give it a try.
Has anyone tried any of those bug suits that essentially enclose you in a fine mesh suit?
Are they worth it or too much trouble?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Spike

Try using skin so soft the night before so the smell is not strong. It works for me.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Sawyer Peremethrin and have used it for two seasons tick free. I use at least a can on my pants,jerseys,shirts,knee length socks which I tuck my pants into. I spray my 3D leaf suit which I wear bow,gun and recently in my Turkey hunting and this gives me a second barrier of treated cloths. I watch ticks drop after a few seconds on the treated cloths so I like others think your not getting a good coating on your cloths. Always spray the leg areas the heaviest,I spray these areas twice. Take care!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.