Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow vs Gun

Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with both but if I was limited to one, I would choose the bow. Longer season, more challenge, and most of my shots, gun or bow, are inside forty yards.

Nothing against firearms, in fact, I shot two deer last year, both with a 30-06.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Spike

Gun season is obviously the high reward part of the year. Depending upon where you hunt (here in Ohio we can only use shotguns and muzzleloaders), your shotgun could be converted into a slug gun for as little as 5 bucks and an IC choke tube. Although rifled slugs don't have the ballistic capabilities of a rifled barrel shooting sabots, they're definately an economical way of getting you out deer hunting.

That said, there's far more accurate methods to pursuing deer, such as a rifle (obviously) or a cantaliever rifled barrel for your shotgun with Hornady SST slugs. If you want something with a better performance than a shotgun, but are willing to sacrifice some on the range, go with a muzzleloader. You'll be able to shoot out to around 200 yards with fairly flat trajectory, and even push the limit to 250 or so with increased drop. This also allows you at least 1, if not 2 extra weeks/weekends for hunting with a gun, as there are separate muzzleloader seasons in every state (as far as I'm aware).

For bow hunting, you can get a fully decked out bow for as little as $300 new. It's going to be slow, noisy and ugly, but you're still going to have a blast with it. If you can't commit a lot of time to hunting, I suggest not even wasting money on a bow. If you're ready and able to spend countless mornings and afternoons in the treestand, then I would highly suggest investing in a bow. The excitement and anticipation of hunting the rut, coupled with the satisfaction of taking one of these beautiful animals with a couple of sticks and a string (yes, I realize we've progressed far beyond that) makes bowhunting whitetails an unrivaled hunting experience. You simply cannot get the same experience from any other type of hunting, and if you are fortunate enough to take one come September or October, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

My suggestion is to get on the classifieds here, and look at gun broker. Buy yourself a beginner bow as well as a gun, and take advantage of both awesome opportunities. If you fall in love with it (which I have no doubt that you will), then you can upgrade your bow. Until then, no sense in dropping a grand on something you may never use again.

Here's a few links to some package bows. They're a great way to get started. They're not the fastest or quietest, not even close. But I'd rather bow hunt with one of these than not bow hunt at all!

http://www.basspro.com/Bear-Archery-...04466/-1658791

http://www.basspro.com/Parker-Bucksh...9#BVQAWidgetID
Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I'm going to go to the local shop soon and get set up with a used bow for hopefully a decent price.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i started with a gun too...but if ya started with a bow, and ya learned how ta stalk, a gun would be problem free.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Gun hunting isn't even comparable to Bow hunting in my book. But just like others said "why not do both?". In my opinion I say start with bow hunting...

-South
Old 05-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Gun vs. Bow....

Hmmmm, don't pull the cannon (.444) out much, I'm usually tagged out prior to 15 NOV. Think of it this way, you can hunt w/ your bow during gun season, but you CAN'T hunt w/ your gun during bow season. You can always toss some slugs in one of them thar shotguns you already have.

Last edited by tight360; 05-12-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Spike

Quicker success, greater distance advantage, more opportunity due to distance with a gun. If you cannot attain both, then start with a gun to have the greater advantages. Gain the confidence and success from being able to reach out further and get a deer.

When you want it to become more challenging and up close excitement then grow into a bow hunter.

Quick success equals greater confidence equals more longevity in the sport.

JMI.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two deer seasons behind me and the first season I used a bow the whole 3 months of our season. I had two shot opportunities one was a hit with my new bow and one was a miss. This past season I hunted with a muzzle loader and my bow,killed two with my bow and had only one clear shot with my ML. The bow is my favorite way to hunt but I hope to take one with the gun this year as well as the bow. You can learn and have success with the bow your first year but it is a greater challenge in many ways. I'd do both but I would not miss out on all that time given during bow season for anything. We get almost 11 weeks to bow hunt in Indiana and just 4 total for Gun/ML. So the bow gives better odds in some ways because once the shooting starts the deer tend to scatter and come out later.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Bowhunting is best

I am a bow hunting addict! There is no bigger rush then stalking and taking a deer within 80 yards using a bow. Rifle hunting is good too, but the rush and the sense of accomplishment is not as rewarding. It takes more patience and skill to bow hunt.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say for a Beginner I would try Rifle/Gun Hunting first.....Bow Hunting is great and it takes a lot more time and skill to get a Deer with a Bow in my opinion.I do both because I love the more time I have to be Outdoors Hunting and learning about Deer and their habits and travel patterns,Bow Hunting has made me a much better Hunter and gave me more patients while Rifle Hunting too..........try them both and enjoy the benefits of both Hunting Seasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.