Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
WI hunters-- STOP Earn A Buck Restrictions now >

WI hunters-- STOP Earn A Buck Restrictions now

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WI hunters-- STOP Earn A Buck Restrictions now

Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default WI hunters-- STOP Earn A Buck Restrictions now

I can't believe this filth! I've seen first hand how EAB has ruined hunting in SW Wisconsin. Let's get rid of this ridiculous restriction and get the herd back to where it belongs for a change.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Everyone I know that hunts SW Wisconsin tells me there are more deer than ever still. Which is about twenty guys that work with me. I find it hard to believe that they are all lying to me. They hunt different areas of that region of the state due to family/friends hunting traditions. Some are near La Crosse, others closer to Madison, and others further south near the Illinois border.

I think people aren't utilizing the skills necessary to see deer.

EAB is an effective tool to keep the deer herd at a manageable size. It's not like it's hard to take a doe to meet the requirements of EAB in this state.

You know what would be far more effective in making hunting easier? Ending deer baiting. Now there is a practice that helps the deer stay alive by being nocturnal. If people stopped feeding the deer, then they would have to move more naturally in order to get enough food. By naturally, I mean during daylight hours, not in the middle of the night.

Ten years ago when my group put corn out at the feeder by our cabin almost no deer came in during the night. Now, they all come in only at night. There are more poeple feeding and hunting them, so they went nocturnal. Each generation has taught the next one to feed at night exacerbating the situation.

Terry Moulton should take his head from his rear end and let the DNR do their job. If we let the politicians usurp the DNR's authority here, then where will it stop? Terry Moulton was one of the more vocal voices a few years ago when the politicians were trying to redirect license fee funds to non-wildlife activities.

Now he's trying to do the same thing in a different manner. I was opposed to the taking of wildlife management funds for other activities then, and I am opposed to limiting the scope of the DNR now.

You know how I know that EAB didn't wipe out the deer herd? Simple enough. The deer to car collisions in Wisconsin for the 2009 year (the last reported year in January when I looked the numbers up) had us at number two in the nation. The state with the highest vehicle to deer collisions was Texas. We had them crushed in the average number of vehicle to deer collisions though.

This is a case where the numbers paint an interesting picture that goes against what many claim.

Stop feeding the BS that EAB has decimated the deer herd and adapt to the changes that have occurred.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Well, we need to keep the evil CWD from spreading don't we?

I don't understand why in the western states where it is not controlled herds aren't wiped out. Could it be it's not all that big a deal?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

The CWD issue is more about the potential to spread to humans causing health issues. Seeing as the bovine version can cross over to humans the response to the whitetail variety has been aggressive.

Even though there has been no indication that the whitetail CWD can affect humans as the bovine version can.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:16 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury
You know what would be far more effective in making hunting easier? Ending deer baiting. Now there is a practice that helps the deer stay alive by being nocturnal. If people stopped feeding the deer, then they would have to move more naturally in order to get enough food. By naturally, I mean during daylight hours, not in the middle of the night.
Yes, I noticed that during the last season - Lot's of deer moving only nocturnally. I would support a ban on baiting during the gun season up in N. WI. My neighbors absolutely wreck my season with their pickup trucks full of bait I am fairly sure they put out. The deer mysteriously disappear 2 days before season - it is very frustrating. I think baiting is, however, good for helping the harvest during the early archery season, at least up north. Baiting wrecks hunting the rut though. I saw the most bucks in the one season when baiting was not allowed.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Spike

We already have the EAB program here in Va. but it's limited to only a few specific areas and usually applies to private land. The problem here is that the VGDIF has made it so easy to fake a doe kill and any other kill by no longer requiring a deer to be checked into a game checking station rather to just call it in on the phone to a recorded message that those that have that restriction simply call in a doe they never actually killed so they can kill another buck.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Whitetailmadness
We already have the EAB program here in Va. but it's limited to only a few specific areas and usually applies to private land. The problem here is that the VGDIF has made it so easy to fake a doe kill and any other kill by no longer requiring a deer to be checked into a game checking station rather to just call it in on the phone to a recorded message that those that have that restriction simply call in a doe they never actually killed so they can kill another buck.
Sounds like your DNR is nuttier than ours!!!!!!! Calling in deer kills is asking for fraud.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

i live in columbia county and sience they got rid of earn a buck our fawn pop hs tripled and now i think it is a little out of hand
Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Sounds like your DNR is nuttier than ours!!!!!!! Calling in deer kills is asking for fraud.

I can assure you that it's nothing more than a game to some hunters now. I personally and will hold my hand on the bible and say I've called in everything I've ever taken,but I can also assure you that there are more deer being killed now without record of it than ever before. I'd like to know how the VDGIF can keep and "accurate" tally on the deer herd when probaly close to a third of them killled are never called in.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

The call in system in Virginia is a joke. It leads to so much abuse and fraud it is ridiculous. How in the world does anybody think they can get an accurate harvest account when there is no control? Anyone can call in anything they want and unless the one Game warden in the county manages to stop you before you get to the processing location you are home free. Shot a buck and call it in as a doe. Kill a doe out of season and call it in as a buck and get it cut up is no problem. Use a harvest number from a previous deer and no one knows the difference. Stupid Stupid Stupid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.