Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How High To Hunt?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt 15 foot ladders, I think my highest stand is 22ft.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
Another factor up by us is the cold. It can be below zero during our gun season - that gets very cold very fast in a very high un-sheltered tree stand. Not a factor during archery, unless it is a late season hunt.
Not a factor where I hunt. I have hunted out of a climber when it was down in the teens, which is as cold as it gets where I hunt.

I would suggest for people that don't want to hunt over fifteen feet, you might want to go to a pop-up ground blind. I use these in areas where the trees don't get that tall, like south and west Texas, and in inclement weather.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 04-23-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default You're too high

if you need a parachute to go with that safety harness.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't add much to what has already been said. 25' is my preferred height but canopy and cover will dictate my height at every location. I still use a lot of cover scent (still using fox pee because it works for me) at 25' and usually don't have any scent issues regardless of the direction the deer come from.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

As high as you can, so when you start falling, the scream will last a long time for us to hear.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Spike

im from southern Minnesota and my stand hight is around 10-15ft!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WHITETAIL GENERAL
im from southern Minnesota and my stand hight is around 10-15ft!
If you were from northern MN would it be higher?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia
If you were from northern MN would it be higher?
HAHAHA I was thinking the same thing
Old 05-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

.....No matter how high You go...always wear a Safety Harness and be careful!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Spike

I personally dont think that height is of any concern unless you're taliking strictly of bow hunting. As far as gun goes I hunt from ground blinds nearly exclusively,but with a bow Im always in a stand. Usually no more than 15 feet for me as I feel as long as you're up and out of wind currents the deer don't really care as long as the stand has been a permanant structure for at least a few months. The deer tend to get used to a stand that has been in place for a while and get comfortable with it being there and pay it no mind. Now if you hang a stand the day of or the day before,they know something is new if it's a deer that travels that area regurally. Same as if we humans see a spot we've been before and notice something "different" in the area. Put that stand up long before the season if it's a normal travel area and you may be surprised at how close they get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.