HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   some questions, i am a beginner (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/342085-some-questions-i-am-beginner.html)

_DANNY_ 03-17-2011 08:42 PM

some questions, i am a beginner

i am going to start whitetail hunting this year and i have a few questions.

-after you have the deer field dressed how long can that meat stay unrefrigerated? my concern is getting the meat to a cool spot asap but how long do i have?

-what time of the day do y'all enjoy more in regards to deer activity? morning or end of day?

and if you could, please leave one piece of advice for me, anything would be great. thank guys.

oldshedhunter35 03-18-2011 07:27 AM

1 piece of advice I would give is do alot of preseason scouting starting now with shed hunting .Right now you can find old rub lines and scrapes without scareing the deer off for the season and if you find sheds you will know where the bucks spend alot of there time and what lived through the winter.
Unless its hot out your buck should be fine for a few hours after you field dress it.For me ideal temps are low 40's and cooler.I like to let my deer hang for a few days after I get it out of the hide,I also like to get it out of the hide as fast as possible.
I like to stay on stand all day and let other hunters push there deer to me I hunt mostly public land.During the rut bucks can be active all day ya just never know.If I had to pick 1 time of day though I'd probably pick early morning and I would be on stand and settled in well before daylight.Its fun to set there and watch the woods come alive around you.I hope this helped you

_DANNY_ 03-18-2011 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by oldshedhunter35 (Post 3787966)
1 piece of advice I would give is do alot of preseason scouting starting now with shed hunting .Right now you can find old rub lines and scrapes without scareing the deer off for the season and if you find sheds you will know where the bucks spend alot of there time and what lived through the winter.
Unless its hot out your buck should be fine for a few hours after you field dress it.For me ideal temps are low 40's and cooler.I like to let my deer hang for a few days after I get it out of the hide,I also like to get it out of the hide as fast as possible.
I like to stay on stand all day and let other hunters push there deer to me I hunt mostly public land.During the rut bucks can be active all day ya just never know.If I had to pick 1 time of day though I'd probably pick early morning and I would be on stand and settled in well before daylight.Its fun to set there and watch the woods come alive around you.I hope this helped you

thank you so much. i know what your saying with watching the woods coming alive in the morning, that's one thing i love about turkey hunting aswell.

turkeyslayer15 03-18-2011 08:41 PM

scouting is key. depends on the temp but if its anything under spprox 45 to 50 you can hang it for a while in the shade but over that better get it to a butcher or cool the meat with a hose and cut it up and put it in a large cooler and fill with ice. thats what we do in KY. as for hunting early season early morning and late afternoon around a food source. when the deer are in rut it dont hurt to sit all day long iv killed deer at 12 noon during the rut. hope this helps.

killadoe 03-18-2011 10:32 PM

wind

After youve done all your scouting, and all that hard work with stands ect. be sure to keep the wind in your face. If its swirling stay home and go fishing... :) No sense in ruining your spot because you were to impatient to worry about the wind.