HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shed Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/342042-shed-hunting.html)

LI archer 03-07-2013 06:22 AM

only private lands i was hunting. not very big still have to tweak the spots out as the one is new and the other is like a maze.

Wilcam47 03-07-2013 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by marine huskey (Post 3820515)
i have never heard of shed hunting what is it

deer/elk/moose shed their antlers couple months after rut and people search for them...the deer/elk/moose grow new ones preparing for next years rut...

Originally Posted by bushnlo (Post 3919711)
I have had this buck with a broke foot coming in for the past 2 years and he is really starting to shape up into a cool buck!Hear are some pics of him from season and this season plus his sheds I finally found after looking 2 times in the woods!I still can't believe I went searching for his sheds and really found them! This year

last year

starting to look like a sika deer antlers

anyone every heard of antler trap?? I just read about it on another forum...first I heard of it:mad1: I think it might be too late for making one this year...maybe next year...

Psylocide 03-07-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wilcam47 (Post 4041288)
deer/elk/moose shed their antlers couple months after rut and people search for them...the deer/elk/moose grow new ones preparing for next years rut...

starting to look like a sika deer antlers

anyone every heard of antler trap?? I just read about it on another forum...first I heard of it:mad1: I think it might be too late for making one this year...maybe next year...

Not sure what my thoughts are on those... let them fall naturally and go find them if you absolutely must have sheds.

I don't see the point in collecting them unless you're using them to make things or something like that.

Wilcam47 03-07-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Psylocide (Post 4041292)
Not sure what my thoughts are on those... let them fall naturally and go find them if you absolutely must have sheds.

I don't see the point in collecting them unless you're using them to make things or something like that.

Well I think they are no problem for sheds...so long as it doesnt kill/injure the animal...after they drop them and all the deer or whatever have dropped their antlers it would be good to take the "antler traps" down since they do grow back and I wouldnt want to damage, trap, injure or kill an animal I want to hunt later in the year. Some people buy them...for knife handles etc. they would just go to waste or be consumed by nature if not found.

NebBuckHunter 03-17-2013 06:02 AM

Easiest antler trap I have heard of is a five gallon bucket with corn in the ottom. The deer sticks his head in and if the butlers are close to falling off they pop off. No chance of getting stuck, injured etc.

subielgt3429 04-14-2013 02:07 PM

Two days of looking came up with these in pa on private land.
First time ever going out.

snapper1982 04-14-2013 02:24 PM

2013 so far

elmoughler 04-15-2013 08:45 AM

Nice finds. I wanted to shed hunt this year for the first time, but people quitting and getting fired forcing me to work ungodly amount overtime put an end to that.

ranchobendecido 04-21-2013 11:22 PM

congrats Fork
if you got the pics then please upload.

subielgt3429 04-22-2013 08:07 AM

Went out one last time yesterday and found this, really nice condition.