Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Hunting

Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 AM
Spike

hey vl Whitetail Genereal lv Please upload some latest hunting photos.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Spike

Cool site! Better late than never...admitted shed junky here. Some finds from this year inluding a video of my hammer Boone and Crockett set! Is it shed season yet..

http://youtu.be/vQvZAVqBZu0

2012-13 good finds

2012-13 total finds
Old 08-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

any tips on shed hunting. i have a prime piece of land that the deer bed down in and walk through constantly and have been shed hunting a couple of times and i never find anything.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by NjHunter85
any tips on shed hunting. i have a prime piece of land that the deer bed down in and walk through constantly and have been shed hunting a couple of times and i never find anything.
Find the food sources, southern facing slops and thick bedding with southern exposure. Dont look too far out...most of my sheds i find i am within 10-15 feet of it...people tend to look 10-15 yards or more and its really easy to walk by them! Wait till end of march if you dont think it will get picked over by someone...you don't want to bump "your bucks" to shed on the next property over.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Spike

Smile Shed Hunting in California & Nevada

I've never shed hunted before, however I'm not interning for a taxidermist and I'm really becoming interested in going shed hunting this season. However, I've lived in California for about 3 years and originally from Nevada. I sometimes go back, however am here a majority of the time and not too familiar with where I would go around here and when would be the optimal time. I live in the San Jose area and willing to travel. Would love to hear feedback from anyone since I'm new to this thanks!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Ran it by a neighbor that I'd like to hike around for sheds. He said that even though we have deer, the squirrels like to gnaw the antlers and I probably wouldn't find any. Who's heard of this?

San Jose, CA Backback or hike the awesome National Parks in that section of the state. Hunting isn't allowed in the Parks; deer somehow know that and will bed down a few hundred yards inside boundaries in sizeable herds. Your main issue will be snow. May/June a great time to find 'em at elevations.

Last edited by Sosalty; 11-01-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: double my reply
Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not exactly shed hunting but found this skull and rack up in a tree this past weekend coming out of the woods. Looks like a squirrel or something gnawed on the antlers and most likely carried it up their. Most likely a larger animal then a squirrel but fox squirrels are in the area.

Shed Hunting-imag0082.jpg
Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

olsaltydog, I just found a big 11 pt dead rabbit hunting on a guys property. I put it in a crotch of a tree for him to have. By spring it should be picked clean and not smell.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Spike

Great tips on where to look Terphunter. And yeah the squirrels do enjoy gnawing on the sheds here. In fact...that's another good place to look. If you see a tree that has a squirrel nest or shows bark damage from the climbing squirrels...have a look around that tree. They might be able to drag the shed over to the tree...but seldom can they haul it up there.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Spike

Sounds like fun. Would be neat to have a dog that would help find them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.