HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Scent Blocker ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/341908-scent-blocker.html)

HoosierHunter79 03-14-2011 07:34 AM

Scent Blocker ?

When using Scent Blocker clothes is it necessary to throw it in the dryer before every hunt ??

J.M.A.N. 03-14-2011 07:37 AM

Save your money and buy yourself a box of baking soda and put your hunting clothes in a bag with the baking soda and keep them there until you are ready to use them next time. I will often throw a little baking soda over myself before I head to the woods. Guess I'm just old school but never spent a dime on all of this new stuff.

Mojotex 03-14-2011 09:27 AM

If you are talking the so called "activated carbon" scent control clothing, IMHO you have wasted your $$$ if you paid extra for that feature.

There has been a heap of hype (and law suits filed) referencing this technology. I have never bought into it. A few of my of my buddies have and frankly none (to the man) have been impressed by the actual field performance. Fact is you cannot possibly activate carbon at the relatively low temperatures that are created in a residential clothes dryer. And if you could create temperatures high enough to activate the carbon, you'd totally destroy the clothing ... not to mention probably setting your laundry room afire !

PY Antlers 03-14-2011 09:43 AM

This type of clothing might, and I use the term losely, might help contain some scent, but it does not and will not eliminate it. The only reason you need to put it in a dryer is when its wet. Do everything in your power to stay as scent free as you can and you will still get busted.

kateraxl2381 03-14-2011 04:23 PM

To answer the actual question that was asked...I do not personally put mine in the dryer prior to every hunt...I simply store my Scent Blocker in a container with dirt wafers and I rarely have deer wind me, but yes, they can still catch your scent..I believe it just helps your chances

JagMagMan 03-14-2011 05:30 PM

Better off throwing it in the garbage! Unfortunately you've already thrown your money in the garbage! Two cheap words that work, "baking soda!"

Patrick Eubanks 03-14-2011 05:40 PM

So your saying that eating burger King and smoking cigs from a deer stand might not be a good idea?...... Uh Oh

vl Whitetail Genereal lv 03-16-2011 07:40 AM

No i don't "recharge" it before i go hunting every time but i try to about every other hunt cause there suppose to stay charged about every 24 hours i think.

doetrain 03-16-2011 09:43 AM

I don't have the Scent Blocker gear,but if I did I would wash it before every hunt just like I do my cheap camo from Walmart. I'm convinced that the wind is the only thing that hurts or helps so use it to your advantage no matter what you wear.
I see a lot of guys put their outer layers on once they get to their hunting spot,this is a good pratice as well weather permiting.