HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Reason for no sheds (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/341902-reason-no-sheds.html)

Kathwacckkk 03-14-2011 05:56 AM

Reason for no sheds

I have been out looking for sheds here in Southern Michigan for the last week or so. I have yet to find a single shed. Yesterday, I found out the reason. A large 10 point buck walked past me at 50 yards. I was amazed to see he still had antlers! Middle of March?!?!? I have my trail cameras in the safe for the year, but I am thinking of getting them back out to see if I can get a picture. At least I know he survived the season.

I would have thought the deer would have shed the antlers by now. The only reason I can think of is he is an extremely health deer with high levels of protein. The antlers will then shed as the new ones start to come in. Much like a child loosing their baby teeth. Any other thoughts?

tight360 03-14-2011 06:57 AM

antlers

as of 8 days ago, I had 3 bucks in the yard with full head gear. They have been late the last 3 years that I know of.:deer:

J.M.A.N. 03-14-2011 07:34 AM

We are already dropping horns here in TN.

oldshedhunter35 03-14-2011 07:46 AM

I found 3 fresh sheds last fri butwith so much food in the woods it was'nt easy the deer are scattered far and wide.I've seen bucks with horns into late april.Dont give up they are out there.
I found half an 8. Started searching for the other side 20 yds away I found a shed with 5 points a little smaller but could be the match I turned around and triped over the other side of a matching 10 point set.when I say tripped I mean litterly fell to the ground.These are the most choc brown set I think I have ever found.

PY Antlers 03-14-2011 09:47 AM

The bucks in my area had there antlers off by the end of Jan.. As a matter of fact I saw 2 bucks in the field 2 nights ago with the new growth started already. I got an email from my buddy in Kansas and he picked up 28 sheds in the last 3 days. Beyond me why or how bucks over in MI can still have antlers.

GTOHunter 03-14-2011 01:23 PM

I still had trail camera pictures of Bucks with their Antlers still on at the end of Feb.,the last few pictures on my trail camera have only been Doe's...or they could be Bucks that have lost their antlers....since they didn't come in close and my IR camera ony takes the black & white pictures at night when they come in I can't tell for sure?I'm thinking about getting a regular Cuddeback "Flash" Camera so I can get colored pictures day and night!

farm hunter 03-14-2011 07:31 PM

there are always some that'll hold into March.

Cannot say for MI - but here - they are the minority,
I had a dozen fresh sheds before 1/1/2011 this year. Most were gone by 1/31.

As the snow melts away - I add a few more.

In my area - we got about 200" of snow this year. I'm finding my sheds in thermal cover - where they beasically spent January, right now.

Good luck

doetrain 03-18-2011 09:48 AM

Starting to find more and more here in Southern IN,got six so far between me and my hunting buddy. They seem to be doing everything late ever since the hot weather in the fall slowed the rut in our area.

WIbuckchaser 03-20-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by oldshedhunter35 (Post 3786293)
I found 3 fresh sheds last fri butwith so much food in the woods it was'nt easy the deer are scattered far and wide.I've seen bucks with horns into late april.Dont give up they are out there.
I found half an 8. Started searching for the other side 20 yds away I found a shed with 5 points a little smaller but could be the match I turned around and triped over the other side of a matching 10 point set.when I say tripped I mean litterly fell to the ground.These are the most choc brown set I think I have ever found.

Let's see some pics.