HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shed hunting tips...where to look (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/341262-shed-hunting-tips-where-look.html)

syrupman 03-02-2011 03:12 PM

Shed hunting tips...where to look

i have never been shed hunting before..ive been hunting a long time so i know sorta where to look but ive never found a good antler...we have altogether about 280 acre to find sheds...we have a creek that runs through the middle of the property...we have a few good food plots...most of the land is planted pines on one side..on the other it is some hardwoods...where would be the best spots to look like around the food plots or walk the creek or just go where i think the bucks like to hang out...i know when to hunt them i guess

GTOHunter 03-02-2011 04:57 PM

I would start looking around the Food Plot,then check out any fences where the Deer would have to jump or crawl under..walk the fence rows looking on both sides,check any trails You can see/follow for a good ways...Creeks are good spots cause the Deer will usually jump over them or drink from them and loose their antlers?Thickets are good to check out,briar patches,places where the Bucks have made rubs or scrapes....heck open Feilds with tall grass and trails going thru,walk the woods slowly looking just about anywhere.I usually take a path trhu the woods or along a fence row..then I take a different path back home.

Checking Your trail camera will tell You if any Bucks have lost their antlers....I've been walking our 100 Acre Farm for over a month now...I pulled my SD card on 3 different camera's this past monday,I've been looking all over for sheds and the nice 8-Point Buck walked past 2 of my camera's and he still had both sides of his rack Feb 26...so all my checking for sheds was in vain,at least until he drops those precious Antlers one of these next few days? ;)

Master Chief 03-02-2011 06:33 PM

I've been twice this year and found nothing but two skulls (one deer one coyote) and random stuff that flowed down our creeks. I'm going again this weekend though.

Good Luck!:happy0001:

oldshedhunter35 03-03-2011 06:21 AM

March and April are the best months although my son is still feeding 3 bucks here every night other than that I hav'nt seen a buck still packing for awhile.All the places I hunt had monster acorn crops this yr so I'm going to concentrate on the acorn flats and areas close by where they bed.The problem with so much food is the deer dont bunch up in 1 spot so your gonna have to cover alot of territory.The biggest mistake I see people make is they walk to fast,slow down its so easy to walk by sheds.Also its early in the season you can walk thru a small area cover it thourely find sheds then go back the next day to the exact area and find more from deer that shed the night before.Its not that you missed them its just that this is the prime time for them to shed I dont have the luxery of food plots if I did I would check them also.When a big buck sheds 1 side he will try and knock the other side off because it makes his head feel lopsided so I start circleing around until I find the other side.