HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Help attracting deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/341222-help-attracting-deer.html)

Whackadeer 03-01-2011 08:38 PM

Help attracting deer

I started hunting 2 years ago after a 20 year lay off. heres my problem. I am hunting a very small woods that is about half a mile off the road. It is surounded by farm ground and sits in the middle of fields.2 years ago it was planted in corn and beans, this past year it was all soy beans. After the season the back field was planted in wheat. There is a drainage ditch that runs the length of the woods but usally is dry.I have seen no deer at all. I know there is deer all around the surronding area because gun season there are alot of shots. I put out cameras and saw nothing. I have seen coyotes twice. I have seen only a couple of tracks and1 small rub. is there any thing I can do to bring the deer into my area. Thanks, Tim

syrupman 03-02-2011 03:17 PM

corn corn corn corn corn

GTOHunter 03-02-2011 04:25 PM

Food Plots help draw in the Deer...if Your limited to any planting try frost-seeding some clover.Now is about the best time of the year with the ground freezing,thawing and back and forth,just buy a few pounds of Ladino,Red and White Clover and walk along the feild edges,logging roads and possibly close to your stands if there is any open area's that have been mowed,then hand toss/scater some clover around...I do this for several weeks when I get a few extra dollars to spend.

Mineral Licks and a nice white 50 lb salt block will draw Deer in also...make sure its legal in Your State...I'm guessing Your in Indiana right?If You located in heavy woods clear a path with a weed eater or rake the leaves close to or behind your stand location and You'd be surprised at the amount of travel the Deer will make since its nice and easy to travel on and thru.

If You own the Land..plant some Apple Tree's,Pear Tree's to enhance the Area to draw Deer in also.You could also try the Throw and Gro type plants?

Whackadeer 03-02-2011 07:13 PM

So far I like what tou guys are saying.

vl Whitetail Genereal lv 03-03-2011 08:05 AM

You have to put stuff out that will make the deer wanna stay there. First off it helps to have low pressure, dont be out spooking them a lot and they will like it. It sounds like you have a good food source but you could plant a food plot to put a new meal out for the deer.

In the past tinks has a lot of liguids to make mock scrapes and I have gotten deer to come the scrape year around using tinks. Also deer minerals and attracts such as Antler King Final Feast will help bring them in also.

Whackadeer 03-06-2011 07:30 PM

The farm fields are planted almost to the woods so I could not plant clover along the edge. Is there anything I can plant in the woods that will grow in the shade of all the oaks?

WHITETAIL GENERAL 03-07-2011 02:07 PM

It all depends on the season and what the deer are looking for! In early season they are looking for things with lots of minerals to grow there racks. After rut lots of protein rich things to last them for the winter to come. Also depends on the region, state, and climate.

GTOHunter 03-07-2011 04:51 PM

If the Crops are planted up to the feild edges You probably need to set up a few stands close to the edge's and do a salt block and mineral lick just behind the stands.Most plants won't grow in too much shade ..at first You may get something to grow with the leaves off the tree's but as they start sprouting and leaves get very thick and cover up the ground most plants won't survive...unless You happen to hit an opening area or road that gets a little more sunlight?If its late Fall and the Farmer harvest his crops and nothing is left but bare ground and some corn or soybean stubbles You could broadcast some winter wheat and it would take off thru the winter and into spring?

Whackadeer 03-07-2011 07:14 PM

Thanks you all have been very helpful.

Valentine 03-08-2011 05:33 AM

Over the years I learned, . . .

not every deer square mile is equal. And it's up to the hunter to learn where the deer can and do go. Where the hunter hunts, sometimes is not very important at all.