Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Trail cammeras and food plots??? What happend to the good ol days? >

Trail cammeras and food plots??? What happend to the good ol days?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trail cammeras and food plots??? What happend to the good ol days?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Spike

Default Trail cammeras and food plots??? What happend to the good ol days?

I am old scool when it comes to hunting. I grew up in Indiana and hunted white tail deer from the age of nine. We then moved out west and fell in love with elk hunting. I have a website with tactics and information about hunting in the rocky mountains. Also pictures of white tails harvested the good ol way without trail cameras or food plots. All animals free range to. Check out my website if you ever plan to journey west and hunt elk or bear on public land. www.publiclandforthepoorman.com
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the good old days have gone due to all of us not having as much time as we would like to spend in the woods and become better woodsmen and gals. Food plots bring the deer to us and the trail cams keep us from chasing ghosts or lesser animals if your into the big rack thing. For me I do it I guess old school because I can't afford trail cam theft and I simply am content with meat only if it has to be a doe only year. We all would like a nice Buck to happen by but if not that's O.K. with me,others I understand are Mature Buck hunters and I understand that desire. The Mature Bucks are a great challenge I'm sure and require great kills to get,even the young ones can be tough at certain times during the season. Getting a deer without all those helps is my way,others use everything they can afford to get the advantage. To each his own is the American way in the end.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

I'm making a food plot for next year. I don't have the opportunity to hunt over corn and bean fields like most people in Iowa, Kansas, etc. My hunting lease is all pines, so I am going to turn a small overgrown logging trail into a food plot. Hopefully I'll finally get a deer with more than 6 points.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

i'm all for free range hunting, but I also think our greenfiels are benefical to our deer herd. Keeps them fed in the harsh months and places to raise fawns in the summer. I have lost out on some kills though because of big deer on camera and letting every thing else walk. Without the cam I would have been stoked to take the other bucks! haha. Guess we all have diffrent goals though and thats ok
Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Spike

Yes its to each their own, I dont want to step on toes. Im mostly aginst high fences. Realy though, I love the unknown adventure and excitement of trophys just apering without ever seeing them, but finding sighn. I see how food plots are a good thing for the deer herd. On my website my dad had no cammeras and still took big bucks because he let small ones walk. Trophy hunting can be done without cameras. I especialy dont like cameras that e mail pictures, I feel it chepens the hunt. When you have several stands and are trying to figure out wich one to hunt, it becomes a gussing game and thats part of hunting. With trail cameras its as follows: their is a big buck by stand one and a giant by stand 6 last night so im going to hunt stand 6 in the morning. Yes he might not be there but its still kind of cheap in my openion. Bottom line is for a 25 year old im extreamly old school. lol
Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
I'm making a food plot for next year. I don't have the opportunity to hunt over corn and bean fields like most people in Iowa, Kansas, etc. My hunting lease is all pines, so I am going to turn a small overgrown logging trail into a food plot. Hopefully I'll finally get a deer with more than 6 points.

Thats a good idea and I can see how food plots are a good thing.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by doetrain
I think the good old days have gone due to all of us not having as much time as we would like to spend in the woods and become better woodsmen and gals. Food plots bring the deer to us and the trail cams keep us from chasing ghosts or lesser animals if your into the big rack thing. For me I do it I guess old school because I can't afford trail cam theft and I simply am content with meat only if it has to be a doe only year. We all would like a nice Buck to happen by but if not that's O.K. with me,others I understand are Mature Buck hunters and I understand that desire. The Mature Bucks are a great challenge I'm sure and require great kills to get,even the young ones can be tough at certain times during the season. Getting a deer without all those helps is my way,others use everything they can afford to get the advantage. To each his own is the American way in the end.

I see your from indiana i was born and raised there you should look at the site. There are several white tail pictures on there.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by EFH
i'm all for free range hunting, but I also think our greenfiels are benefical to our deer herd. Keeps them fed in the harsh months and places to raise fawns in the summer. I have lost out on some kills though because of big deer on camera and letting every thing else walk. Without the cam I would have been stoked to take the other bucks! haha. Guess we all have diffrent goals though and thats ok

wow you have an allegence i special orderd an 80# allegence in 2006,and you have a great point about the food plots. Thank you for the feed back.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really would like to see how some of ya'll would approach hunting in the thick woods of the southeast. On the hunting shows and videos it seems it is too easy to sit on a mountain side or a big ag field and spot deer/elk a mile away, make up your mind if it is big enough to walk over and take a 400 yard pot shot at it. Most of the places I hunt you are lucky to see a deer at 100 yards, and that is usually in a big food plot, a powerline, or down a woods road. Not only do plots help bring deer out of the thickets before dark so you might get a shot, but cereal grains planted offer about a 30% protein food value for the deer.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I really would like to see how some of ya'll would approach hunting in the thick woods of the southeast. On the hunting shows and videos it seems it is too easy to sit on a mountain side or a big ag field and spot deer/elk a mile away, make up your mind if it is big enough to walk over and take a 400 yard pot shot at it. Most of the places I hunt you are lucky to see a deer at 100 yards, and that is usually in a big food plot, a powerline, or down a woods road. Not only do plots help bring deer out of the thickets before dark so you might get a shot, but cereal grains planted offer about a 30% protein food value for the deer.
For all the open space we have to see them from 2 miles away....they have the same view of us. Don't knock it til ya try it. In CO we don't allow bait and a trailcam isn't going to do you much good unless you hang one on every tree.
In my little group of hunting family and friends we don't take pot shots, we have experience in long shots and only take them if that is the last choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.