Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found my target buck dead

Old 02-20-2011, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DocD
I don't think a deer like that (in it's prime) died of natural causes, i would suspect an archer, or a poacher. Doc
And I would suspect someone with a gun taking a poke with a prayer. Believe it or not, gunhunters wound and lose deer too.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:01 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Wow, heck of a deer! Sorry you didn't get to harvest him yourself. Like already's been said, he would make a good skull mount or get a mount with a new cape, he would look good. On the bright side, at least you know hes had time to pass down some good genes. Hope you find another good one to hunt next year.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say he's at least 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 years old,lots of mass to his Antlers and a nice Big Body so he has a little age on him for sure!Thats a shame to find him like that,he would have been a heck of a Brute in 2011.

I found a nice Big 10-Point Buck dead on our Farm last year,I had several trail camera pictures of him and Bow Hunted him for 2 years.I ended up calling the local Game Warden and got a reciept to keep the Buck and I took him to my local Taxidermist and he re-Caped him and he's graces my wall in all his former glory!If You have a lot of history with Your Buck I would either have a European Mount made of the head or re-Cape him and enjoy him as he would have been.I have a series of trail camera pictures I plan on hanging on the wall besides my 10-Pointer so I can enjoy it along with the refurbished Mount.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea I plan on definitely getting a cape and mounting him, I do taxidermy on the side so thats a FOR SURE thing lol

I did find tracks in the snow about 2 weeks or so before I found him and they had this reddish brownish junk dripping all around them. I followed them and the deer was walking in circles....as you noticed his feet were huge so I am kinda leaning towards it was him. Because I found him probably 70 yards from where I stopped following the tracks.

Like you guys said, its great I get to have him but I sure would have loved to have harvested him.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Wow that hurts. It always hurts to see deer like that. Hopefully, it was from natural causes.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
And I would suspect someone with a gun taking a poke with a prayer. Believe it or not, gunhunters wound and lose deer too.
You are CORRECT!!! I didn't mean to single out Bow hunters, an apology is in order and I do so!!! There are many reasons for its demise, but I don't think it is from natural causes, BUT you never know, just like everything else-- deer die!!! I read a story a few years ago about a Michigan hunter who tagged his deer without a shot, it seems he startled a deer, the deer fell over dead, they figured it had a heart attack, (boy did that guy get "Ribbed") we don't know and we never will, I am just glad he was found and now can be immortalized !!! looking forward to the pictures. Doc

Last edited by DocD; 02-20-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

When I saw the pics of the buck horns on the ground I thought "it can't be over 130 inches" then I saw the pic of the lady holding it and you can really see how big it is. Doesn't even look like the same rack.
Its is a shame it was harvested in this fashion.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I've found alot of deer like that while shed hunting over the yrs.It used to bother me but I realize nothing goes to waste in nature and I got great racks to hang on the wall and tell lies about how I killed them.I just hope they spread there genes far and wide....
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Neat story. I guess you will have to keep guessing how he died. Like stated earlier, when I saw the cam pic then the rack on the ground I wouls have guessed 123-135. But when your holding it it looks allot bigger.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that's a shame. I agree with the euro mount requests. Post pics if you do it! Edit: I missed your post about caping him....that's awesome.

Originally Posted by KYDeerHunter03
meat was still very fresh on the carcass so I assume it was just a tough winter for him.
Confused by this statement...there's nothing fresh about that deer!!

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 02-23-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.