Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What Are Some Whitetail Deer Hunting Techniques? >

What Are Some Whitetail Deer Hunting Techniques?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Are Some Whitetail Deer Hunting Techniques?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default What Are Some Whitetail Deer Hunting Techniques?

I am 17 years old, new hunter, and I'm going to New York to hunt with a 12 Guage shotgun and deer slugs. I am going to be in a heavily wooded area with some fields every now and then, and It will be cold and snowing. What are some good techniques I should know for hunting Whitetail in Up-State New York?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Well first off I would find where the deer are and figure out where they are throughout the day so you get a genral idea of where to put you stand.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Spike

dress in layers and make sure you have enough on to stay warm. Make sure you know your range with the shotgun when setting up your stand/spot. Make sure to stay down wind of the deer. If its to warm or the total oppisite(cold) the deer dont move as much, unless they have to eat. I have only hunted new york and not sure about this anywhere else but. I have better luck early in the am to late am. And right before dusk to see deer. Good luck and happy hunting. where abouts in NYS are you hunting?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

a drive would be a very good idea if you could find some hunting buddys.But if its just you go into the woods the evening before,and find a path in the woods with lots of deer tracks.it should be easy with newly fell snow.mark it,and intercept a moving deer.they will be moving during the day if you are in deep woods.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

first year hunting?Dont worry so much about technique as learning the basics: Safety, observation, being still, working the wind, marksmanship. If you must, beg your experienced hunter to take you to the hunting area well in advanced as often as possible to scout the area for a stand. As a beginning hunter, concentrate on observation and being still, learning patience. It isnt a good idea to be wandering/ still hunting at first. It will be important for your co- hunter to know exactly where you are, and you them. Stalking/ still hunting comes later. Beg if you must to get out in the field in advance to scout the area for areas to concentrate on, and thoroughly understand that TV shows are a very poor depiction of real hunting.