Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed hunting tips?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Spike

Default Shed hunting tips?

hey guys im going to try to find some sheds have any tips for me??
Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Walk trails, bedding areas. Where they jump across (or go under) fences, logs, creeks, gates. Glass fields where they feed. A tip someone on this site mentioned a while back was look where you often see them get hit on the road. Alot of deer get hit, run into the woods a little bit and lay down and die. I havent gotten to try that yet, but makes sense.
-Jake
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

Why would you hunt only for the tips? I try to find the whole antler.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
no tips on how to find them
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Spike

Post Shed hunting tips

Originally Posted by Stonewall308

Since I am in a great mood (Partly because the snow is melting, partly because my teething, 6mo. daughter is sleeping), I will share some pointers that I have learned over several years. Any veterans feel free to throw in anything in you want! ENJOY

#1: Look for 1-2" of antler (tines of course, but also main beams and bases) instead of the whole thing. You would be surprised at the ones that you walk right by. (And how stupid you feel when your buddy finds one BEHIND you)

#2: Search in bedding areas near food sources. These can be a 10 ft. wide filter strip or an 80 acre patch of pines. Many times the bucks will bed down, the chemicals will be released that cause them to drop, leaving the oh so beautiful set of sheds laying two feet apart.

#3: Search where other people don't. Put your time in. Pack a lunch and go all day, go remote, and go often. Try to avoid any competition. Consider taking a canoe.

#4: Food sources are a high priority. They are a high priority for deer, and should also be a high priority for you. Flat farm fields are easy to cover, especially from a vantage point with good optics. Cornfields are difficult to search, but when done right, they can yield amazing results.

#5: Get a decent pair of binoculars. They can save you hundreds of trips of walking 50-100 yards to check out that stick that looks like an antler.

#6: Don't put too much pressure on the deer before they have shed. Spread your efforts out to a larger area. If you see shredded bark on top of a fresh snow under a big rub that you find, you may be a little early.

#7: Get to know your local herd. Deer are usually fairly predictable. Even if you only see does, don't be discouraged. Pay attention to how they react to harsh winter weather. In my area (50-60 deer per sq. mi.), I have noticed that deer migrate out from their home areas towards late winter, mostly because the food has been eaten. Fence rows in Ag fields can be prime.

#8: Go squirrel hunting. Squirrels eat sheds faster than most people think. I have found antlers with blood on the base that are halfway gone. They taste good, and you can sell the tails to Mepps for free/discounted fishing lures.

#9: Don't be too hardcore. You should enjoy what you are doing, because 90% of the time, you will come back empty-handed, with a fresh mental image of an early spring sunset. If you enjoy going and not finding, you will never be disappointed.

Happy shedding!

Last edited by Habitat86; 02-15-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Spike

Hang a trail camera and watch to see when the deer start shedding their antlers. then follow along the trailer and see if you can find the antler
Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fences. If they go over or under, it's a good place. Anywhere the trail leads into cover that will contact the antlers.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Spike

Heres a couple more I thought about today.

#10 - VERY IMPORTANT - Go in the rain. It is amazing how well they glow when they are wet and it is overcast.

#11 - Get a good pair of polarized sunglasses if you are going to be hunting in bright conditions or snow. Check into shooting glasses with yellow lenses. They can help with picking out detail.

#12 - Always look near draws or ditches, especially small ones. When a buck crosses very small ditches they usually jump. The jarring can bust them loose.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found sheds along creek beds,behind fallen tree's and even in open Mowed CRP Fields...some times You just get lucky and step on them!When I got out walking I check all the different trails thru the tall barn grasses,then I walk a different path/trail back home..the next time I go out I follow along fence rows and take another path back home!I've seen pictures where guys have found sheds hanging on thicket branches or even around area's where the Bucks have made rubs on tree's.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Spike

thanks for all the tips every1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.