Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

why?

Old 07-24-2003, 02:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default why?

im still a young hunter but when i get ready to shoot i dont even think i juss put the cross airs beind his shouldar and pull the triger i never take my time to shoot and its really frustating exspecially when i can say i have blooded to deer cause i dont stop and think[:' (] and that makes me fell ashamed of my self so what can i do on helping me stop and think to place that perfect shot
Old 07-24-2003, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: why?

You have to remember that if you don' t do your job there is no way you are going to harvest the deer. Instead of picking the rifle up immediately, try watching the deer for a couple of minutes. If the deer isn' t running you usually have some time. Concentrate on the exact spot behind the shoulder you want to hit and then raise your rifle and concentrate on getting the crosshair on that exact spot. Become familiar with the anatomy of a deer and remember that you are shooting at a cylinder shaped area and depending on the angle of shot what the result will be.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

I really had that problem when I was younger.

I was given a routine by some friends of my ol' man, all in the military. basically going through a step by step process in my head.

They told me to keep repeating it, and now I have gotten much better.

Practice.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:23 AM

you have a very common problem found with adults also.when i see a buck,the size of his rack will instantly tell me if it is a shooter or not.after making tke decision to take him,i never look at his rack but instead begin to plan the shot and pick the opening or plan to stop him for the shot.i tell myself over and over to squeeze the trigger.in years past i would rush my shot and shoot over the top of his back by jerking the trigger.another common problem i have seen,is trying to count points or score the deer on the hoof causing the deer to move out of good shooting spot.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

As suggested, do it step by step, talk yourself through each step and breath inbetween each step, pick out a spot the size of a dime when aiming, do not just aim behind the shoulder, squeeze the trigger. I know it is a hard habit to break, but just tell yourself " Self, slow down, breath, step by step.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree it has to by systematic almost(step by step). It will become second nature though and seem effortless. I first determine wheter I want to shoot or not, I usually do so with either binos, scope or eye. If so I look at the factors in the shot, distance, angle, shot opportunity(if in cover), etc. Once this has been determined I pick the spot and focus only on that spot not the larger site picture of the deer...forget the horns at this point as you have determined he is a shooter and they haven' t gone anywhere. I also agree jerking is a problem and some also think they see the vitals but are not looking through the mid point of the crosshairs, meaning scope fills with brown and pull trigger. Do not concentrate on the crosshairs, just ensure they are positioned correctly and then concentrate on your target point. Invision a dot, line or reference point to your mind...some find the crease behind the front shoulder an excellent visual to their brain. Focus to keep that area clean and then slowly release pressure on the trigger...don' t forget to breath normally.

How do you shoot while on the range? My guess it is somewhat mythodical, do the same in the field. Many just plain rush the shot and in most cases a rushed shot is not required. If you do feel rushed, don' t shoot! Part of hunting is making good solid sound judegements, controlling your emotions and excuting. All these things lead to success and more importantly safety!!!
Old 07-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

I think yours is a problem that everyone faces at some time or another. I think it only goes away with experience. You say you are a young hunter, does your dad or other adult hunt with you? See if you can partner up with another, older hunter that would be happy to coach you through it. Perhaps all you need is someone to calm you down through the first couple of encounters.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:06 PM

More so with a bow, I really get myself pumped up intentionally when I see a deer that I decide is a shooter. I keep telling myself that " this is what you have been practicing for, this is what it' s all about, you have done much harder things in your life" ...these are a few of the thoughts that I run through my head. I almost have a " you owe me" attititude towards the deer. Somewhat opposite than the traditional thought process...although when it' s crunch time, I do take a looooong deep breath before I release, or squeeze.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

i hunt by my self to anwser your ? i just started last year! i have been shooting my gun and practicing slowly squezing the trigger and releaseing my breath and holding the crossairs steady thatnks for yall info if all has helped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.