Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My first year "seriously" hunting >

My first year "seriously" hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first year "seriously" hunting

Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default My first year "seriously" hunting

I have hunted my whole life, off and on, but never consistently enough to do anything. I have always been more of a fisherman. However, I caught the bug last year towards the end of the season. So this year was my first year really going every chance I got and this was the result. My first deer ever was the spike, then I got the doe. Also shot another doe not pictured. Three deer isn't that bad I guess. Also pictured is the hind quarters hanging from the spike, some jerky in the making, and grilled backstraps! This will also be my second year turkey hunting, although I only went one weekend last year. We'll soon see what's in store for me there! I am hooked. I watch only hunting/fishing shows on tv, read only hunting/fishing magazines, and think only about hunting/fishing!
Attached Thumbnails My first year "seriously" hunting-1st-spike-copy-3.jpg   My first year "seriously" hunting-big-doe2-copy-2.jpg   My first year "seriously" hunting-huntingnet-avatar.jpg   My first year "seriously" hunting-1st-deer-jerky-copy.jpg   My first year "seriously" hunting-1st-deer-bacsktraps-copy.jpg  

Old 02-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Just before anyone says anything.....the spike was shot back home on our land, only 26 acres. Impossible to manage and whatever you shoot is more than likely transient anyways. Nothing (doe or buck) has been shot there in 3 years and I had the shot at the spike and I took it. It was the only deer killed this year. So while I normally wouldn't, I shot him this time. All deer were shot with my century arms .308 with a mauser stock.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on some very Nice looking Deer! What Caliber Rifle are You using?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You beat me to writing a question....thanks for the quick/fast answer MRl0004.

Sounds like You did a lot of Hunting and really earned those Deer!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Yea, I have the 26 acres back home (2 food plots the size of a parking space), I hunt with my gf's dad in Mississippi (~500 acres, 20 football field size food plots), and my buddy who lives in Auburn has around 500 acres with some nice plots. As I mentioned, the spike was shot at home. The doe was shot in Auburn. I don't hunt MS usually except at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The few times I was there this year I saw a 3 point and a long cowhorn spike, and tons of does. However, they manage well there so we let the young bucks pass and hoped the does would be live decoys. However, my gf's dad shot an 11 point the week after I left in the exact shooting house I was hunting in. I guess he's put in a lot more sweat equity than me and deserved it more though. Maybe next year......
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, and that is what it is all about!!!!, Great pictures, (although it made me a bit hungry). Just wondering, can you guys hunt in "Camo" clothes? wishing you continued success, Doc
Old 02-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. What do you mean can we hunt in camo clothes? I guess that one went over my head.....
Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Spike

I think he was wondering if orange is required to rifle hunt.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Oh! We are required to have 144 square inches of hunters' blaze orange. I usually have a hat I wear to and from the stand but I took it off for the pic.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Spike

Default Nice

Glad you had an enjoyable season. Now if we could just do something about that nausea inducing orange and blue. Haha, Roll Tide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.