Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sharpshooters

Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default Sharpshooters

I was reading the newspaper today and see that they are bringing in sharpshooters to a forest preserve and 6 other locations,looks like our money is going to a great cause destroying our deer herds.They will use spotlights to light the area up and only shoot does they say,rather then let a few hunters in to places like this to hunt they bring in sharpshooters to shoot the deer at night,and at the same time they charge a regular citizen with poaching if he or she shoots one deer at night,yet they are targeting 350 or more the rest of the month.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

Sharpshooters my @55. I love reading that in newspapers. It is marketing speak to calm the masses so they don't worry about guns being shot in their neighborhood. They are paid hunters, no more skillful than anyone on this forum. Its not like they have army snipers doing the shooting.

I agree with you, let people bow hunt if they don't trust us with guns. Many hunters would probably even pay an extra fee to get the chance to stock the freezer.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

Same thing happend here in Michigan and is getting more and more common as the deer herds grow in suburbia. I stayed up to date on the debate whether to allow hunters in the park or hire sharpshooters. Came down to liability and lethality. The sharpshooters are deemed to be a pest removal service and they operate as a Corporation. Thus they have liability insurance that relieves the park and owner.

Also, since they are hired as a subcontractor to complete the removal of animals doing damage, they are not held to hunting regulations. Therefore, they can use high power weapons, bait, lights, night vision scopes, etc...

They did donate all the meat to the local homeless shelters. There was also something mentioned about PETA being unable to protest as this was a hired subcontract. I do not know the details on that aspect, but I think the people just wanted the destruction on the Park properties to stop.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I hunted a piece of property in Loudoun Co, VA and the adjoining property was hunted by 4-5 Capital Area Police. These guys had passed themselves off as "sharpshooter" to the landowners, I guess because they were police in name. Anyway, they shot many times and failed to recover several deer that ran off from the shot. That land has changed hands and thankfully they are not hunting there any longer.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Spike

Where is this at? Here in Kentucky we had an issue with Ft.Thomas deer running all over causing accidents, and tearing up gardens but never heard if they hired sharpshooters
Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

These guys typically ARE good shots. The one that happened in NH years ago, they took 99 deer with 100 head shots, one deer took two shots.

It's the PC and quick way, to do herd reduction.

Once done, here in NH at least, they allowed hunting to keep it in check.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Sharpshooters my @55. I love reading that in newspapers. It is marketing speak to calm the masses so they don't worry about guns being shot in their neighborhood. They are paid hunters, no more skillful than anyone on this forum. Its not like they have army snipers doing the shooting.

I agree with you, let people bow hunt if they don't trust us with guns. Many hunters would probably even pay an extra fee to get the chance to stock the freezer.
In urban areas that are overrun with deer this is a good method to reduce the herd and typically they receive so much $ per kill, most areas require that the shooters show their skill , maybe no more then some on the forum but more skillfull then most, as far as letting bow hunters do the job, this is done in many area's also, but they must show their skill as well. these hunts typically take place in populated areas and skillful shooters are a must. they can't have a bunch of wounded deer running around the "Hood".

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
These guys typically ARE good shots. The one that happened in NH years ago, they took 99 deer with 100 head shots, one deer took two shots.

Well said, Doc
Old 02-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes it is the best solution.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bob.....

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH

You are absolutely correct!!!!!! There was a Air base here in Michigan that had a lottery to let bow hunters on t reduce the deer pop, they were on the runway at the wrong times, wolf pee and the rest of the deterents weren't working. However, the hunts didn't produce the numbers that they had hoped quick enough. Some metro-parks then hired these guns, and they ARE GOOD! Bow hunters aren't taking 100 in a 24 hour cycle.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with the people that condone sharpshooters. Hunters (real hunters) have no business in these populated areas. All city hunting does is throw gas on a volatile situation. I used to drive through these areas (Bucks,Delaware counties, Pa.) on my way to where I worked. It was nothing to see deer standing on sidewalks and in front yards at 10:00 in the morning. There are a few parks in the area that are opened to special "hunts" and the protesting and extra police and Game Wardens involved are not worth it. What a circus. As for bowhunting, we (hunters) don't need the extra publicity of arrow shot deer running around town and laying dead in K-MART parking lots.
A few years ago Gettysburg brought in sharpshooters to clean out the parks and the "hunters" were complaining. If you turned a bunch of hunters loose in there it would have been a war zone all over again. The best thing we as hunters can do is stay out of those areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.