Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tough Winter On Deer

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is SE Alabama our winters are never what one could call harsh. We sdeldom get into the teens, and snow is rare. So winter kill is not an issue ... I don't think. I am not certain, but I think what hurts the deer here is a combination of an extended summer/fall drought, coupled with a weak acorn crop. This was the case in 2010. I hunt 3150 acres along with several friends. We have tried to "manage" the population in this area by taking 75+/- does each year. We have done this for well over a decade. We have several 2010-2011 trail camera shots of deer that are "boney".

During years when the summer/fall rain is at or above normal, the browse is lush and the deer we have killed have been rolling with fat.

Right now, most of our small creeks are nothing more than a damp ditch. Only one of what I'd call a "major" creeks that is running through the property is flowing. Two of the others are holding water, but barely flowing. I hope 2011 is a "catch up" year as far as rainfall.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The winter we've had so far isn't really an issue. we've had LOTS of snow and cold, but the key is they went into the winter in good shape, lots of food in the woods. The other key is what happens from here forward. they can deal with the snow, what they have trouble with is ice. Right now, they can dig down to the ground and find food. When it melts, then freezes over solid, they get in trouble.

As long as we have a fairly quick melt, we are in good shape.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Depends on age I would say

Wonder what the opinion is of those under 40, versus those over 50.

One thing I remember about northern cold snowy weather. One never saw a big expansion of the deer herd. Deer survived but not at the totals seen in some states ten years ago.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Southwestern Wisconsin we have at least 2 feet of snow on the ground and drifts that are well over 4 feet tall. I did some shed hunting and bumped a doe and 2 fawns and they ran out into an open area about 20 yards wide and had to jump just to make it across. Felt kinda bad for them and then I saw about 12 antler-less deer in a group of pines and got to within 40 yards of them walking in the wide open and they never took off. Hopefully we get some warmer temps to melt all this snow.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by gunther89
Here in Southwestern Wisconsin we have at least 2 feet of snow on the ground and drifts that are well over 4 feet tall. I did some shed hunting and bumped a doe and 2 fawns and they ran out into an open area about 20 yards wide and had to jump just to make it across. Felt kinda bad for them and then I saw about 12 antler-less deer in a group of pines and got to within 40 yards of them walking in the wide open and they never took off. Hopefully we get some warmer temps to melt all this snow.
Here in Northern WI they build igloos and do quite well!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
The winter we've had so far isn't really an issue. we've had LOTS of snow and cold, but the key is they went into the winter in good shape, lots of food in the woods. The other key is what happens from here forward. they can deal with the snow, what they have trouble with is ice. Right now, they can dig down to the ground and find food. When it melts, then freezes over solid, they get in trouble.

As long as we have a fairly quick melt, we are in good shape.
This is exactly what Fish and Game said here in Vermont.
Oh what a winter, it has been many years since we had so much snow on the ground.