Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What's your plan if you fall from your stand ? >

What's your plan if you fall from your stand ?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's your plan if you fall from your stand ?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Spike

I am 37 and this was the first year that I was actually worried about falling. I have never used a harness while in a tree. The very first year that I started bow hunting, I was up pretty good in a TSI (I think it was) stand that had just the metal strap with a rubber piece wrapped around the tree and I happen to have climbed a sycamore tree cause it was a slick and straight, well it started to rain on me and the next thing I knew we both were going down the tree, it slid all the way down the tree at a high rate of speed while I was standing facing away from the tree. After hitting the ground and realizing what had just happened, knees knocking and all, I started to laugh uncontrollably. I could have had a big problem if I were harnessed in. I have used a summit viper now for years and feel very safe in it. Back then we didn't have cell phones, so now I always carry my cell with volume down.

Last edited by travis_ranger2000; 02-22-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some of you guys are either braver or dumber than me it seems. Falling is a very real posiblilty for every hunter that ascends a tree. The flippant atittude of walking away or having a sore ass is just pure idiocy. Falls happen FAST, and the likelihood of being able to correct yourself in mid-air before contacting the ground is very slim. Plus, your natural reactions will have you reaching for something, further changing your position in the air. Even landing on your feet from 14' up is going to cause some problems. Let alone landing flat on your back/stomach, or in the worst case, on your head/neck.

I hadn't really ever thought about what I would do if I fell. I take all the pracautions that I can, but getting and out of the stand is the problem. I carry my cell, wear a harness, have a knife, but wow, if I did fall and couldn't get out, hate to think about it. I hunt a long way from home usually, and alone on most hunts. I'm sitting here wondering if I would be able to get back into the stand if I was hanging from my harness. Or, if I fell on the opposite side of the stand from where my strap-on ladder is, how that would work. May have to try it in the yard sometime.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YooperMike
Some of you guys are either braver or dumber than me it seems. Falling is a very real posiblilty for every hunter that ascends a tree. The flippant atittude of walking away or having a sore ass is just pure idiocy. Falls happen FAST, and the likelihood of being able to correct yourself in mid-air before contacting the ground is very slim. Plus, your natural reactions will have you reaching for something, further changing your position in the air. Even landing on your feet from 14' up is going to cause some problems. Let alone landing flat on your back/stomach, or in the worst case, on your head/neck.

I hadn't really ever thought about what I would do if I fell. I take all the pracautions that I can, but getting and out of the stand is the problem. I carry my cell, wear a harness, have a knife, but wow, if I did fall and couldn't get out, hate to think about it. I hunt a long way from home usually, and alone on most hunts. I'm sitting here wondering if I would be able to get back into the stand if I was hanging from my harness. Or, if I fell on the opposite side of the stand from where my strap-on ladder is, how that would work. May have to try it in the yard sometime.

You should look into the Rescue One CDS harness.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Spike

I'll lower myself to the ground using my Rescue One CDS harness from Mountaineer Sports. It's pricey...but how much is your life worth?

http://mountaineer-sports.com/
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pro-Line
I'm 6'1 and around 250...but heading lower! I've been hunting out of high stands my entire life. As embarrassing as it is...I'll admit that until I had kids, I never wore a belt of any kind. That was about 7 years ago. I fell when I was young, but walked away and thought I was bullet proof. My kids mean so much to me that I now take tons of precautions.

I started with the single strap and now wear a shoulder harness. I always carry 2 screw in steps and a knife in my front pocket. If need be, I can screw in a step and cut the harness. Then alternate steps until I get down the tree.

Using good equipment and taking your time, imo, lessens your chances of falling...but there's always a chance.

Not sure you can stand on one step, unscrew the other, bend down, and screw it in again. Sounds like a stretch to me. I fell once, but was saved by a safety belt. I was able to turn around, grab the tree, and get back onto my steps. I've also had the bottom part of my climber drop away. You feel helpless quickly. I have lucked out a lot of times.

If I was making a plan, it sure as he11 wouldn't include falling. That's stupid. What if you land on a tree or stick protruding from the ground? I like the ideas about using a self lowering harness system. They are readily available.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using the HSS for a few years now and I always keep extra steps in the vest pockets to screw into the tree just in case of a fall, which by the way has never happened to me. One thing I do though that prevents me from falling in the first place is adjust the strap so that my movement is limited while I'm in the stand. When I'm near the edge of my stand, my lanyard is tight. This prevents me from stepping off the edge but one never knows what could happen so fall protection is an absolute necessity. I like the thought of having a way to reach the ground safely without having to cut and jump. 25 feet is a long way down.
Attached Thumbnails What's your plan if you fall from your stand ?-toms-tree-stand.jpg  

Last edited by WVCritter; 02-25-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Livewire device these guys have coming out soon for hands free descent. Some cool new harnesses too.

http://www.treespidersafety.com/
Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Listen to this Doctor about safety harnesses

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunt...y-harness.html
Old 02-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

A couple weeks ago an FWC Officer was hunting in Wesley Chapel & fell out of the stand to his death. Broke his neck AND his back. The older I get (47), the more safety conscious I become. I just bought a second set of snake boots & I already have 3 fall arrest systems for tree stands. Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but friends & relatives are dropping off & I want to stick around a few more years. Chuck, I've been carrying around a Buck 110 in my right front pocket every day of my life for over 20 years now. I can't say it's saved my life yet, but it's proven itself to be invaluable literally hundreds of times the past couple decades. I don't even have to think about it - it's ALWAYS there. I love the idea you heard about with the heavy duty rope tied off above the stand all the way to the ground.I WILL be doing that from now on - great idea! I'll be turkey hunting (from the ground) this coming Saturday in Sarasota - wish me luck all.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

I fell 10 feet from my tripod in Dec. Not fun, broke 3 ribs, no one around. Not a good Idea to be by yourself, with no cell phone!