Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What's your plan if you fall from your stand ? >

What's your plan if you fall from your stand ?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's your plan if you fall from your stand ?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default What's your plan if you fall from your stand ?

OK ...
I'm overweight...and 56 years old..I use the Seat of the Pants Harness..and let's say..your stand malfunctions and you are hanging from the tree at 15 feet.

I understand ..that if you don't do something quick your circulation being cut off will kill you. I hope this doesn't happen to any of you but it would be nice to brain storm and see what some of you would do..NOw if your as over weight and old as me..I doubt seriously if your going to get back into the stand..

Tell me if my plan is stupid..

I now carry my folding buck knife in my front pocket..

Try to relax..so you won't be shaking and freeze.

Take out the knife..

IF possible grab one of the pieces of stand that is still attached..with knife..reach over head and cut your support rope..now your circulation can flow easily..throw knife to the ground away from tree..

If you can get in your stand...call for help..

If you can't ..push off the tree..and drop I don't beleive 15 foot will kill you..Cut off circulation certainly will

Any other thoughts..

You guys who climb high...not sure what you would do..

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck, if you're that concerned, get some suspension relief straps. The construction industry has several available that clip right onto your harness, you simply deploy them, and you have relief. Summit even has their own version.
http://images.ebsco.com/pob/summit/c.../stand_srs.pdf
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

I had the brilliant plan of going Bow hunting with a buddy about two weeks after I had ACL reconstruction. I was still technically on crutches... but thought hunting sounded like a great idea. He carried a ladder back in for me, then ran my climbing stand up the tree to around 12 feet. We set the ladder up and I went up and got situated. I had the brilliant idea of tying the ladder to the bottom of my climber with my drag rope and then lowering the ladder to the ground so that the deer wouldn't see it.
Wellllll The bottom of my climber ended up dropping out of the tree. The ladder was tied to the bottom of the climber and now I'm stuck.
I called my buddy several times and couldn't get him. So I decided I'd better come out of the tree before it got worse. I lowered my bow with the rope I use for it, Unhooked my harness, Hung from the front bar of the top part of my climber, lined up my drop and let myself fall.
Thankfully I was able to safely land on my good leg and didnt cause any damage.
I think having a plan in place is a great idea, I didn't have anything planned but it worked thankfully. And my drop was relatively low.
-Jake
Old 02-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I just read about one man's plan..His bow/gun pull up rope is a strong 1/2 inch or bigger rope..500 pound strenghth..It's tied around the tree...If you fall grab the rope around the tree..cut the other rope from you harness..and use the 1/2 inch rope to get down the tree.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunter Safety System sends an extra strap with their harness that has a loop in one end. If you fall, you just put your foot in the loop and step up, thereby relieving the pressure on your lower legs. Always, always, always keep your cell phone on your person so if something does go wrong, you have access to it as opposed to it being in your pack or somewhere else you can't get to it.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the relief straps..but after reading some horror stories of huys who have fallen...I plan to buy the 300.00 vest that comes with the build in life rope..I wanted to lose some weight first ..for their is a big difference in weight for us fat guys..LOL

BUT I'm getting one before next season....my family needs me ;;;I'll use my income tax money..I just hope the darn thing works..I know it's pretty heavy..
Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt high except in permanent stands where it'd be easy to get back onto the steps or stand if I fell the small amount allowed by the harness. Thinking about it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a rope hanging down. At the least you could slide down at a safe rate if you needed to cut your harness strap. A 15 foot fall has the potential of causing serious injury, especially if you don't know how to land.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Anyone ever seen or known anyone that uses one of these..Here is what I plan on getting,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFaDxFcx6Zc

I'm a little concerned that he had to hop around some to get that thing to work..trust me..when your in a situation like that..you are going to be very shakey..

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-02-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

I use a treestand that straps on. It also has a strap at the bottom to keep it from swinging. Not much chance of it coming down. I also use a 4 section strap on ladder to get into the stand. If the stand did come down or I fell out and couldn't get back in, I would get on the ladder.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm 55 and WAS overweight...

Last April, my doctor told me I had to do something about my weight, I'm 6ft 5 and weighed 262...The problem, my blood sugar had gotten too high...I had 2 uncles that had diabetes...

On April 23rd, I went on a low carb diet...By July 4th, I was down to 232, a loss of 30 pounds...I haven't had a soft drink or sweet tea since April...I've had exactly 2 baked potatoes, I don't eat french fries and very little bread, rice and pasta...

Take my advice, lose the weight, you body will thank you...A side benefit, I don't get tired anymore...Hiking, carring a tree stand, doing yard work, it's like I'm 35 again...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.