Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What's your plan if you fall from your stand ? >

What's your plan if you fall from your stand ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's your plan if you fall from your stand ?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Appreciate the encouragement..your right..the weight can kill you

I find when I trip..there is no stopping myself.. I must have tripped and fell 10 times this year..where normally I would have caught myself..now it's like i'm carrying an 80 pound bag of concrete...the weight itself puts you to the ground..

Which can move your scope, move your bow site..sprain an ankle etc..a real handicapp
Old 02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

its good to have a plan. i usually dont stand hunt, and i dont use harness's which i should. but my dads friend fell from a tree stand. sharp peice of a tree stump went through his head, one of his buddies was a doctor and saved his life, they said he would never walk again. A couple years later he was able to walk with a cane. its a frightening wake up call when you here these kinds of stories.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Anyone ever seen or known anyone that uses one of these..Here is what I plan on getting,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFaDxFcx6Zc

I'm a little concerned that he had to hop around some to get that thing to work..trust me..when your in a situation like that..you are going to be very shakey..

I just bought the Rescue One a few weeks ago. I have only tried it on inside the house so far. It is a very well built harness and feels about like a HSS vest style harness in terms of weight. I have read over the instructions and it looks like repacking the rope in the harness is pretty straight forward. It comes with a very detailed instruction book and a DVD.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Appreciate the replies guys.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should always keep a SRS on your person when hunting in an elevated stand. I have the one Ameristep includes with their tree stands.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Spike

My dad fell out of a tree stand years ago (before cell phones) and broke his ankle. It was when he was climbing down and was lucky he did not land on his bow. He fell about 12 feet. It was getting dark so he took off his camo shirt and put his white tee shirt on over his camo so he would be easier to see. He crawled about 300 yards to get to a easier place to find him. He even had to crawl through a drainage ditch with a foot of water in it with a flash light in his mouth. When he did not come home my mom got worried and we went out to find him. That was one crazy night. I still remember our van with cornstalks hanging from the undercarrige when we drove through the corn field to get him.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Break out the cell phone/2 way radio and make a call for help...
Old 02-03-2011, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 6'1 and around 250...but heading lower! I've been hunting out of high stands my entire life. As embarrassing as it is...I'll admit that until I had kids, I never wore a belt of any kind. That was about 7 years ago. I fell when I was young, but walked away and thought I was bullet proof. My kids mean so much to me that I now take tons of precautions.

I started with the single strap and now wear a shoulder harness. I always carry 2 screw in steps and a knife in my front pocket. If need be, I can screw in a step and cut the harness. Then alternate steps until I get down the tree.

Using good equipment and taking your time, imo, lessens your chances of falling...but there's always a chance.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Break out the cell phone/2 way radio and make a call for help...
In many areas I hunt cell phones do not work and two way radios have a limited range.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well son, you do know

your own fallibility clearly. And the rules of gravity, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.