Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Taking the hunter's safety course. >

Taking the hunter's safety course.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Taking the hunter's safety course.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
IMO if you did something that should to preclude you from owning a gun or hunting then you should be in jail. A free man should be allowed to own firearms and hunt.
Don't jump to conclusions, They don't do background checks just for crimnal history.Divorce is the biggest., if you have been divorced the ex spouce has to sign it and swear you are safe and mentally stable to be allowed to posses.big question here on this forum was a person who is bi-polar. Lots of American people didn't like the fact he or she could posses a firearm.Probably very law abiding individual, never did a thing wrong with the law yet. Lots of Americans said don't allow him to have a rifle on this forum.Hear he'd probably never get one. 2009 Showed we had something close to a total of 860 firearm fatalities. 75% of those where suicide. They check loss of jobs, loss of famiy members. Wevjust don't give out anymore assuming everything is allright. Free man can still be unstable especially in this economy. So approx 200 per year are accident related most of those
at home not in the field.The list goes on. The people who deserve to have firearms do get it.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 01-27-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, our firearms laws suck!! Those back ground checks and waiting periods do nothing but inconvenience the legal guy. I dont know too many criminals that are going to go down and try to legally obtain a firearm. Criminals are going to get firearms, it doesnt matter what kind of laws or stipulations you have on them, look at drugs, people are able to get those pretty freely even though they are illeagle. Just my opinion!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Well if a parent does not have time to teach the kid to shoot where the heck, should the kid learn to shoot. You just expect the parent to dump the kid in the woods and learn on a wim, on a live animal?
Remember the parent doesn't have time, and you figure they should not learn from the safety course.This makes alot of sense.Seems someones or more likely some animal, is getting the ****ty end of the stick, when I think about your way. Thankfully in British Columbia. you can only get your lifetime Hunting Number Permit through the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education Course. Much more entailed than just safety.
Your way sucks ****.

If the parent does not have 30 minutes maybe they should not have the kids to start with. Dump a kid in the woods? Where did I say that? They should not be in the woods period without an adult if they have no experience, safety course or not. How does your course teach them to deal with buck fever? In my opinion that is one of the most dangerous things in the woods. My son hunted with me by his side until he was 13. He killed his first deer laying on my back and me holding the gun and aiming for him while he pulled the trigger. He was 3 years old. I know some live in non hunting families and in such case should have a mentor. A course will NOT guarantee anyone to be safe for a lifetime, hell anyone can make a mistake. I could go on but I won't. I am just glad you are happy with your laws and I am glad I am not in the woods with a bunch of kids that took a course and got turned loose in the woods. I know several kids here that got a lifetime license for their 1st birthday.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by okieshooter
If the parent does not have 30 minutes maybe they should not have the kids to start with. Dump a kid in the woods? Where did I say that? They should not be in the woods period without an adult if they have no experience, safety course or not. How does your course teach them to deal with buck fever? In my opinion that is one of the most dangerous things in the woods. My son hunted with me by his side until he was 13. He killed his first deer laying on my back and me holding the gun and aiming for him while he pulled the trigger. He was 3 years old. I know some live in non hunting families and in such case should have a mentor. A course will NOT guarantee anyone to be safe for a lifetime, hell anyone can make a mistake. I could go on but I won't. I am just glad you are happy with your laws and I am glad I am not in the woods with a bunch of kids that took a course and got turned loose in the woods. I know several kids here that got a lifetime license for their 1st birthday.
I'm glad you clarified that the kids shouldn't be hunting to begin with.
You Failed to mention that in the original post. Since this is a safety
issue thread I don't Assume anything.I asked.. What do you expect the Parent to do, cause once again you Failed to mention the parent shouldn't not have him in the woods hunting.You just mentioned the kid shouldn't be practicing his shooting in a safety course. Once again this is a thread on Safe hunting and assuming gets you or someone or an animal hurt or killed. Clairification is key dude. And I hope you don't have those kids out there hunting, I don't assume everbody follows what you do.I certainly don't assume, I know there are kids out there shooting on a whim.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

I'm glad you clarified that the kids shouldn't be hunting to begin with. I love to see kids hunting, with supervision if needed.
You Failed to mention that in the original post. Since this is a safety
issue thread I don't Assume anything.I asked.. What do you expect the Parent to do,Invest a little time in their child's interest. cause once again you Failed to mention the parent shouldn't not have him in the woods hunting.I said the parent should be in the woods with them.You just mentioned the kid shouldn't be practicing his shooting in a safety course.They shouldn't. Get out from in front of your PC and take your kid to the range and YOU teach him to shoot. It is your responsibility not the instructor at a SAFETY course. Once again this is a thread on Safe hunting and assuming gets you or someone or an animal hurt or killed. Teaching a kid to shoot, and scout, and patience will get animals killed too.Clairification is key dude. And I hope you don't have those kids out there hunting,The one years old no, Must be at least 2 years old to hunt with me and preferably potty trained. I don't assume everbody follows what you do.What is it that I follow??I certainly don't assume, I know there are kids out there shooting on a whim.
Sounds like a lot more of them in Canada than Oklahoma.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
I dont know too many criminals that are going to go down and try to legally obtain a firearm. Criminals are going to get firearms,
Ill go a step further and say criminals are going to commit crimes whether they have a gun or not.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't jump to conclusions, They don't do background checks just for crimnal history.Divorce is the biggest., if you have been divorced the ex spouce has to sign it and swear you are safe and mentally stable to be allowed to posses.
that is the most absurd thing Ive read in a while, lemme get this straight,your gun rights are at the mercy of a woman who probably hates your guts at that point, you gotta be kidding me, right?
big question here on this forum was a person who is bi-polar. Lots of American people didn't like the fact he or she could posses a firearm.Probably very law abiding individual, never did a thing wrong with the law yet. Lots of Americans said don't allow him to have a rifle on this forum.
I dont know what thread youre referring to but Im guessing youre talking about a MAX of about 25 people here. thats not "lots of americans".
Hear he'd probably never get one. 2009 Showed we had something close to a total of 860 firearm fatalities. 75% of those where suicide. They check loss of jobs, loss of famiy members. Wevjust don't give out anymore assuming everything is allright. Free man can still be unstable especially in this economy. So approx 200 per year are accident related most of those
at home not in the field.The list goes on. The people who deserve to have firearms do get it.
Oh really? Sounds to me like a person can get denied simply for having a spiteful ex wife or is unemployed ...sounds like a buncha crap to me
Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Spike

Default Sticker Printing

i always like to read some good and informative
blogs and this blog is also so good and helpful.
thanks for taking time to discus this topic..
Old 01-28-2011, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I think that being bi-polar should be a disqualification for gun ownership. I know two people who are bi-polar.

Yes, when on medication, they are fine. However, they get all out of sorts if they go off of the meds. Will they shoot someone? Probably not, but it is a severe disorder where they put themselves in great danger if they go off their medication.

Divorce on the other hand, is not a disqualifier. Let's be realistic here, who doesn't know a couple that had a vicious divorce proceedings? I know enough people who hate their exes with so much rage that they would make them miserable as possible many years after the divorce is over.

The only time personal relationships can come into play, is if there is documented domestic abuse. That comes about from criminal proceedings, and not talking to any ex.

I'd take the gun ownership laws in my home state over those in Canada any day of the week. Wisconsin is even behind the times when it comes to self defense laws, and we still don't have a CC law. I'm waiting to see what changes are brought about by the now conservatively led houses and Governor.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Typical Buck

Shooting at targets has nothing to do with hunter safety. If you are a lousy shot, big deal. My cousin used to shoot on an archery team back when there were only real bows. The archery team took on the pistol team every year and beat them every year. My cousin tried bow hunting only one year and quit because he could not get an arrow near a deer. Whenever he got close to a deer, he became so excited he simply could not hit it.
I have seen this "buck fever" many times with gun hunters also. I actually knew one guy that hunted 30-40 years and never shot a buck. If a buck walked up to him, he just sat there and looked at it, unable to move. Anyway, not a great shot? Big deal. You have to start somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.