Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Taking the hunter's safety course. >

Taking the hunter's safety course.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Taking the hunter's safety course.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Spike

I am thankful to all the volunteers. I think they should really be paid for it, after all, it is a matter of life or death.

There are so many that want to take the course. Our class is always full. They have it twice a week just so everyone has a chance.

It's great that the volunteers are so passionate about it that they want to share the experience with anyone interested.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Spike

The instructors showed up the result of a 22 that some kid wanted more power or a bigger bang out of. He loaded the gun, then emptied a few shells of their gun powder and dumped it into the barrel. That gun was totally ripped apart. Even the stock, where the shooter's check would have been, was ripped apart. There were pieces of the gun that they couldn't find. The barrel broke in half. The trigger was completely mangled. I didn't even want to know what happened to the kid, if he survived. That is scary that some kid would even try that.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

They showed us a 12-20 split. Over 20 years and I still remember it. A 20 ga. will fit far enough in the barrel of a 12 ga. for a 12 to fit behind it and still fire. Results were not good.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

okie

did you know a 3.5 inch shell will fit into a 3 inch chamber?

Why?

Room is left in a 3 inch chamber to account for the crimping of the shell to open. This a 3.5" shell can fit. But IF fired the crimping will not be able to open and bulging to barrel /chamber rupture can happen.

JW
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by okieshooter
If a parent does not have time to teach a kid to shoot they should not drop them off at a safety course and expect them to learn there. It is amazing what a kid can learn with a bb gun and 30 minutes of your time if you are willing to take them. All my kids could shoot a pop can by the age of 4 or younger. It is a safety course not an accuracy course.
Well if a parent does not have time to teach the kid to shoot where the heck, should the kid learn to shoot. You just expect the parent to dump the kid in the woods and learn on a wim, on a live animal?
Remember the parent doesn't have time, and you figure they should not learn from the safety course.This makes alot of sense.Seems someones or more likely some animal, is getting the ****ty end of the stick, when I think about your way. Thankfully in British Columbia. you can only get your lifetime Hunting Number Permit through the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education Course. Much more entailed than just safety.
Your way sucks ****.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 01-26-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Spike

Here in illinois i loved our local safety course. I have been hunting/shooting since I was a kid 40 years ago. But this year my 9 year old wanted to start hunting. He has been shooting with me since age 2. Our law says he has to have the safety course. By law I did not. So I took the course with him anyway. It was great. The last day we got to shoot FULL AUTO stuff that the police dept brought over. We had a blast together. I don't know why anyone would not MAKE time to take the class with their children. I have 4 year old twins and can't wait to take the class again when they are old enough.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Spike

I hear ya, naildriver. I am enjoying taking the course with my daughter. I've been waiting a long time to do it. Am looking forward to going out hunting with her as well. i'm always looking for ways to spend some quality time with her. This seemed like a great opportunity.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

In British Columbia the CORE program gives you your hunting number permit. Then you must take a totaly different course on safetey and gun handling, this course is Canada wide, it goes threw various types of firearms, types of of actions,know how to differentiate between calibers and gauges muzzleloaders. If the course is taken and passed on both the written and practical test. You are entitled somewhat to a Possessession and Aquisition Licence.A form is filled out questions are asked about your personal history, and is sent away.Generally for most people a licence is givin to you, some are turned down, but there probably is good reason for it.A course and a test shouldn't be all you need background checks are mandtaory up here, I agree with that. But once you get that license in the mail,it permits you to own, borrow, buy sell trade posess non restricted firearms.If you want restricted firearms (eg. a handgun) you must take another course and pass course after you recieve your unrestricted PAL to get both the restricted and unrestricted PAL permit.Very involved, lots of hours spent, but that's not a bad thing.Our annual Canada wide hunting accident track record speaks for itself.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 01-26-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

As bad as they are, I'll take USA gun laws over anything Canada has.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Generally for most people a licence is givin to you, some are turned down, but there probably is good reason for it.
IMO if you did something that should to preclude you from owning a gun or hunting then you should be in jail. A free man should be allowed to own firearms and hunt.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 01-27-2011 at 04:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.