Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Really botched my buck search... >

Really botched my buck search...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Really botched my buck search...

Old 02-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
I think some of the "ethical" stuff here is really over the top. Not all states have the same game laws and if you got a ticket it would be up to the courts to decide who was in the right. A recent article in the Pennsylvania Game News magazine is a good example. A bear was reported dragging itself along a road and it was assumed it was hit by a car. It turned out it was shot in the spine (during deer season). Long story short, the Wardens trailed the bear and found the woman that shot it. The woman said she saw something moving in the bushes and thought it was a deer. She got no ticket because there is no law covering killing a bear by mistake.
Anyway, I really don't pay attention to "super law abiding hunters" since I caught a rather well known outdoor writer intentionally breaking the game law when I was checking my fox traps one day.
dont know how that relates to shooting a dear, finding it days later and not tagging it as not wanting to lose a tag on a nonusable deer,
but wardens generally have leeway on issuing fines and such,,
they are generally leniant on young and new hunters,
as for this lady?
hard to believe mistaking a bear for a deer,
probably only excuse she could give,
what can she say? shot a bear without a tag and out of season?
hope she doesnt mistaken me for a deer as i hunt pa woods
Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

The story relates to what has been written here. I started the deal about turning in an unusable deer and getting a new tag and half of you turned it around to try and fit the laws in your state. The point of the story is, not all states have the same laws and regulations and a lot of situations are not even covered by the law. It is not against the law to hit and lose a deer in Pa., as long as you make a reasonable effort to find it. If you turn in a deer that you found a couple days after shooting it and want a new tag the Warden is going to look at you like you are an idiot. That is because you are an idiot. The deer goes on a dump, you get a new tag. What you did was cause a lot of extra work for the warden and gained nothing. That law is in place for someone that TAKES a deer that is not fit for human consumption. If you already used your tag on the unfit animal, you now need a "Replacement" tag to continue hunting.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default January 2011 Game News

I read it wrong, she did get a fine even if " there is no provision in the game law for mistakenly shooting a bear".
Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

The Game warden is wrong. There are plenty of laws on the books for mistake kills in Pa., for deer and anything else. These laws were in effect since I have been hunting. The woman screwed up by leaving and not reporting it. The tiny little regulation book handed out with your hunting license is a drop in the bucket compared to the complete game laws and codes. You would do well not to read into or rely on the little regulation book as "the last word".
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
The story relates to what has been written here. I started the deal about turning in an unusable deer and getting a new tag and half of you turned it around to try and fit the laws in your state. The point of the story is, not all states have the same laws and regulations and a lot of situations are not even covered by the law. It is not against the law to hit and lose a deer in Pa., as long as you make a reasonable effort to find it. If you turn in a deer that you found a couple days after shooting it and want a new tag the Warden is going to look at you like you are an idiot. That is because you are an idiot. The deer goes on a dump, you get a new tag. What you did was cause a lot of extra work for the warden and gained nothing. That law is in place for someone that TAKES a deer that is not fit for human consumption. If you already used your tag on the unfit animal, you now need a "Replacement" tag to continue hunting.
the story about the woman and the bear is a poor example,seriousely she shot a bear thinking it was a deer??that person should have her guns taken away,btw you right about being an idiot if u turn in a unedable deer,but your also an idiot if your going to post something you did illegaly in the forms.as for everyone turning this around to suit our own state or provincial laws,well of course we did and most places have the same law about not taging harvested game,btw sounds to me that a resonable search was not carried out here.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

it doesnt bother me the guy made a mistake,we all do it,we are only human,its the ppl on here that are condoneing his behaviour that bother me.he made a mistake he admitts it,but yet ppl are makeing excusses for what he did.