Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Really botched my buck search... >

Really botched my buck search...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Really botched my buck search...

Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

that is a stretch calling someone a poacher in this case. that word shouldn't be thrown out so loosely.

Sometimes things just happen so why not be a little supportive and constructive and mabey the next time this kid might do something a little different.

Tag or not to tag??? There are enough POACHERS around doing it all the time so back off and leave the kid alone.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

chuck7.. man i tried that line before about every hunter.... illegal yada yada yada and it turned into quite the argument. I am surprised more people didn't bite on that and I agree with you.

Tersec & ipscshooter. So let me get this right. either one of you 2 shoot a deer and don't find it for a week lets say. So, you 2 save that tag all season just incase you find it?

Here we get 1 buck tag for gun. If I hit a buck and can't find it on opening day I should not hunt the rest of the season just incase someone finds it? What happens if I do hunt and kill a buck and then find the first one? Am I a poacher?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

The dude shot the deer and found it the next day. If he doesn't tag it, I would bet he's violating a game law in pretty much every state. Even the guys coming to his defense about "spoiled" deer" are in jurisdictions where you have to tag it, and then apply to the warden for a replacement tag. Maybe "poacher" isn't exactly the right word, but, I'm not sure what you call it when someone doesn't tag his deer.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
that is a stretch calling someone a poacher in this case. that word shouldn't be thrown out so loosely.

Sometimes things just happen so why not be a little supportive and constructive and mabey the next time this kid might do something a little different.

Tag or not to tag??? There are enough POACHERS around doing it all the time so back off and leave the kid alone.
Well said!!! anyone have any idea how many deer are left to rot by some of the archery hunters out there??? and these are (supposable) knowledgeable hunters!!!! cut the kid some slack, he came here for some advise, I think we should make it constructive, and calling him a poacher is not the right thing to do, sounds like a good guy to me, owned up to a mistake, how many of you can say the same??? Doc
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter

dont think anyone was being hard on the kid,
nor did they call him a poacher,
think the reaction was more against those telling him not to tag it,
saving a tag for a more favorable animal is poaching,
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thought I'd post a legal definition:

Poaching Law & Legal DefinitionPoaching is illegal hunting, killing, capturing or taking of wildlife violating local or international wildlife conservation laws. This can occur in a number of ways. For example, illegal shooting or trapping of an animal from a private or public property amounts to poaching.

Activities that are otherwise legal may amount to poaching if they are done violating wildlife laws. For example, harvests made without complying with the regulations for legal harvest result in the illegal taking of wildlife and come under poaching. Only wildlife can be poached. Stealing or killing domestic animals is theft.

My original comment was in response to a gentleman who said "don't tag the deer." I said, if you killed it, and you found it, you have to tag it or you're no better than a poacher. And, "poacher" fits nicely within the legal definition, i.e. a harvest made without complying with the regulations for legal harvest. I wasn't being hard on the original poster, unless he decided not to comply with the laws of his state regarding the tagging of a deer that he shot, and that he found only 100 yards away, the next day.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

well i just think this kid was made to feel worse than he was when he posted. and we don't know if he tagged it, he never said. It just seemed like the main focus here turned into tagging or not tagging issue rather than hey it happens and try this next time. Which is what he was looking for I think to begin with.

And as far as the definition of poaching goes. This kid nothing illegal so quit looking for something that isn't there. And so I don't get beat up to bad I will say that if he took the head he should tag it.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
The dude shot the deer and found it the next day. If he doesn't tag it, I would bet he's violating a game law in pretty much every state. Even the guys coming to his defense about "spoiled" deer" are in jurisdictions where you have to tag it, and then apply to the warden for a replacement tag. Maybe "poacher" isn't exactly the right word, but, I'm not sure what you call it when someone doesn't tag his deer.
am I missing something but no where did i read next day. he said last Wednesday he shot it the found it yesterday. well yesterday was monday. and by the way congratulations u just made this form unenjoyable for another person, u think this kid will want to post again? im sick and tired of reading all the posts with more people being ******* then helping someone out.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sniper65
am I missing something but no where did i read next day. he said last Wednesday he shot it the found it yesterday. well yesterday was monday. and by the way congratulations u just made this form unenjoyable for another person, u think this kid will want to post again? im sick and tired of reading all the posts with more people being ******* then helping someone out.
Once again, my comments were really directed to the guy who said "don't tag the deer." If the OP followed that advice and he didn't tag it then he's likely violating a game law, and I wouldn't want the him getting cited for something like that. Maybe it came out wrong. As regards the dates... You're right it wasn't the next day. He shot on Wednesday, posted on Sunday, so he found it Saturday.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Wardens here understand people eat the deer and want you to have meat in the freezer. Makes their job easier if I tag one legally instead of hunting them in July. If a deer was not found for a few days I honestly do not think they would expect you to tag it unless you wanted to keep the head or something. Times are hard guys and some really need the meat not a tag filled with spoiled meat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.