Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Really botched my buck search... >

Really botched my buck search...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Really botched my buck search...

Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by White-tail-deer
Terasec, I hope you tear up your tag when you "miss" a deer.
on a miss?
no
on a hit thats unrecoverable
i intend to write unrecovered on it as i know others that do the same.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Spike

if you shoot a deer and KILL it you should tag it know matter if you find it 2hrs later or 2weeks becuse YOU killed it but whatever happens its a hard and vauleable lesson learn good luck in the future and never assume u missed
Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice. This is a lesson I won't forget; always assume you hit the deer and always thoroughly search for it. Too bad it took a buck to get that lesson across.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Bummer man..so much for buck shot..you'd think at 30 yds that deer would be dead.

As far as the tag..let your conscience be your guide.I don't have that problem in Florida as we are allowed 2 bucks per day or 4 in freezer possession at one time.

I once hit a 90 pound sow at 10 yds..with 00 Buck..she ran 50 yds and stopped to turn around and look at me..I finished her off with a slug.When I cleaned her..the buck shot had put a softball hole in her rib cage..it wasn't enough.

From that day on..I stopped using Buck shot..Inow use a 270..stops them in thier tracks.

When you say "Chest shot", are you saying the deer was standing with his head lookng in your direction?

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-23-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Bummer man..so much for buck shot..you'd think at 30 yds that deer would be dead.

As far as the tag..let your conscience be your guide.I don't have that problem in Florida as we are allowed 2 bucks per day or 4 in freezer possession at one time.

I once hit a 90 pound sow at 10 yds..with 00 Buck..she ran 50 yds and stopped to turn around and look at me..I finished her off with a slug.When I cleaned her..the buck shot had put a softball hole in her rib cage..it wasn't enough.

From that day on..I stopped using Buck shot..Inow use a 270..stops them in thier tracks.

When you say "Chest shot", are you saying the deer was standing with his head lookng in your direction?
Yeah buckshot can be tricky. I misspoke before....it wasn't a chest shot but a broadside shot. I was surprised it didn't fall right there but perhaps some small trees caught a bit of the spray.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by White-tail-deer
Terasec, I hope you tear up your tag when you "miss" a deer.
wtd..i think you are mis-understanding, this wasnt a missed shot, the guy found the deer the next day. no-one is saying, "everytime you miss, you should burn a tag"
which would not be a bad idea actually...i'd be out a few tags myself, but i bet it would make a few people think twice before takin a less than good shot.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Spike

in my opinion it should be made illegal. Buck shot that is. There are more deer lost with it than anything else due to the same reasons you thaught you missed. They dont bleed much with it because you rarley get and exit. Plus your range is limited.

80 yards is deffinetly well beyong buckshots affective range.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Dominant Buck

"80 yards is deffinetly well beyong buckshots affective range. "
Bambeklr

The man did not say 80 yds..he said in his first post it was 30 yds..that is very reasonable..I have a bunch of buck shot ,I won't use it either..

As far as the tag issue..I'd be willing to gamble that every hunter has probably done some illegal activity in his life..either intentional or unintentional..I'd say on the tag issue..let the hunter decide..We are only to judge our own actions in a situation like this.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Spike

Let you conscience be your guide. We all have been there. We know the terrible feeling in the pit of your stomach. This will make you a better hunter. And a better tracker. If it doesn't you shouldn't be hunting.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

buck shot is 3 thirty cal rounds...aint it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.