Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Legal Question

Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

by any chance did you happen to buy your license at walmart?
when i bought my first non res license in pa, before everything was online, they didnt check anything at walmart,
i had all my certs, but there was no way for clerk at walmart to know.
i asked them dont you need to see this? and held out my cert cards, and they were like no its ok,
Old 01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Spike

Definately take the saftey course before you see the judge, your fines should be less or maybe just get put on probation. You will have to take the safety course anyways.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Spike

Yes this was the first time i got it, i did get it at walmart & they didnt ask anything. I was told "no one cared" obvouisly they do! it sucks too because i hunted with someone anyways so i shoulda done the aprentiship!
probation?? the DNR said i won't get jail time for sure & it's not something to cry over
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SemperFi_Krissy
Yes this was the first time i got it, i did get it at walmart & they didnt ask anything. I was told "no one cared" obvouisly they do! it sucks too because i hunted with someone anyways so i shoulda done the aprentiship!
probation?? the DNR said i won't get jail time for sure & it's not something to cry over
well, from the law description below, sounds like you are at fault, as you say its the 1st time you have bought a hunting license, makes you a 1st time hunter.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Spike

My advice would be to at your earliest convenience go and do the safety course. Nobody will question the fact that yuo took it after the hunting license was issued but will question why you have the license and no safety course.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SemperFi_Krissy
I didn't take a hunters saftey course. Wasn't asked when I purchased my lisence. I am over 21. What could happen to me if I get caught? I am from Ohio.
Krissy
in ohio u need to show proof of compleating a hunter saftey
course. the state keeps those records for ten years. most of the time if you go to wal mart they dont ask you for it aslong as u have a valid drivers license. if u get caught u might get a fine or be required to take a class to show proof of complealtion.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

You are lucky to be in Ohio. We had a local guy poach two deer in his neighbors yard while he was extremely drunk and it only cost him $200.00. He got his bow back and got to keep his hunting liscense. It should not be too bad for you.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, i understand that i am definitly at fault i was just wondering what they would do to me once i get to court
Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Spike

Default What To Expect in Court

1. You can expect the Conservation Officier to tell/her story.

2. You can expect the judge to ask if you knew that a safety certificate was required.

3. You can expect then when you answer that you did and purchased a license anyway, he will ask why.

4. You had better be prepared to answer any and all questions honestly.

5. Also be prepared to say that you have now taken the required course (bring proof) and that you are very sorry for what you did.

6. You can probably expect a small fine and maybe the revocation of your hunting privileges for a period of time. Please note that other states may recognize the suspension and you will not be allowed to hunt there either, just ask Ted Nugent.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

THis is a little strange. You bought the license at Wal Mart, they didn't ask for your hunter's safety course completion form and issued a license, I am assuming you didn't lie to the salesman. I would get the course and any fines incurred would be paid by Wal Mart even if I had to get a lawyer. I don't see how you got a ticket if you were not hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.