Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bow or Gun?????? Which one is more fun. >

Bow or Gun?????? Which one is more fun.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow or Gun?????? Which one is more fun.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Spike

Youd have a better chance of killing deer with a gun but some people may enjoy the challenge of hunting with a bow over a gun
Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Spike

I use both widens my opertunity and makes the season longer JMO more challenging with a bow but both are equally as fun?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer hunting is my favorite and I don't care what I'm using. I've probably killed as many with a bow as I have a gun in my 38 years of deer hunting.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpv
I have had more success with Bow, but prefer firearm by far.
i couldnt find the smiley that expresses my opinion of this
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rebel Hog
You're correct on that one!.....Gun hunters can learn alot by talking to Old bow hunters......I have never hunted with a bow, but all my questions have always been to bow hunters..
Yep. If you pick up bow hunting, you're almost guaranteed to become a better gun hunter. The margins for error in hunting technique (not to mention marksmanship) are so much smaller with a bow, that when you switch over to gun hunting it feels so much easier. Plus you get to hunt the peak of the rut with a bow (where I am anyway), whereas with a gun it's already past peak. Also, there are fewer hunters, a longer season, and better weather. And of course, it feels far more rewarding when you get one with a bow (I also hunt with a gun, so I'm confident in saying a gun is far easier).

If I had to choose, I'd grab a bow every time.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 01-21-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Spike

Hello everyone,glad to meet you here,hope to know more about you...........
Old 01-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've deer hunted for close to 45 years. About 15 years ago a friend sold me a bow with accessories as he had bought new equipment. We practiced a couple of months and I got confident in hitting an 8" spot consistently. The second day I hunted with the bow I got a good shot on a doe, she took off with some extra adrenaline thru a cut over thicket. When I finally got her back to the truck I put my bow up and havn't shot it since. I know I can take my .270 and drop a deer in its tracks if I take my time. I hear of too many people "sticking" deer with arrows that are never recovered, seems like it is 30 to 50%. To those that love bow hunting I have no problem with it, but I won't be going again.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Sadly to say..gun
And why is that? Because in FLorida I only get about 5 weekends for archery..General gun is everyday for about a month and 1/2 ..

If the time frame to hunt was the same..it would be bow hands down.

Reasons being..
A. you cna shoot does

B. Quieter

C. more of a rush

D. requires more skill

E. woods are quieter

F.Less hunters
Yep. Bow season is short round here.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

It really does depend on the hunter, however, more and more of my friends have been getting into bow hunting after gun hunting there whole lives. They are hooked and they love it. I'm sure its not for everyone, but everyone should give it a shot
Old 01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I think it comes down to what you feel most comfortable with, I am from Nebraska and this year we are allowed to hunt with crossbows. I am thankful because I am very bad with a Bow, but good with a gun, now I just got my hunting season extended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.