HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Question About Deer Drive gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/338616-question-about-deer-drive-gun.html)

rg87 01-18-2011 01:02 PM

Question About Deer Drive gun

Hey i have a question about setting up a drive gun. I have an 870 that is my dedicated slug gun and shoots great to 200 yards with a 3x9 scope. The bulk of my hunting is done either out of a treestand or sitting on the ground so I dont usually have a rushed shot. Lately though they have organized a few drives and I would like to put together a gun for drives. I have an autoloader a Stoeger 2000 that would be a good base for the project. I have read and I feel that the Leupold DeltaPoint reflex would be a good way to go as far as optics. I think I'll end up getting a rifled choke tube just because a full-rifled barrel is tough to find and also pretty expensive. I'll pay more for the barrel than i did for the gun. Most of the shots will be well within 50 yards, some even way closer so i like the 1x optic. But by using the 7moa triangle i feel confident shots out to 80 yards or so. maybe even get lucky and hit the plate at 100 yards. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you feel i am on the right track? What would be something you would do differently?

maynerrd 01-18-2011 01:09 PM

we do drives every year in the late season i like open sights makes it real easy to pick up a moveing target i always use my moss. 500 with modifed choke barrel it slings slugs great out to 80 yards i killed my buck this year with said gun at about100 yards all it has is the bead on front

Pro-Line 01-18-2011 01:29 PM

With the 3 shot limit that Ohio carries...an autoloader isn't that big of an advantage.

For me...any shooting at moving/close game is better done with open sights. Everyone is different, though.

OhioBowhunter 01-18-2011 01:50 PM

personally, i wouldnt take anything over my 1187 with a 40$ truglo red dot on it. IMO

cbower22 01-18-2011 08:17 PM

I personally like my trusty 870 with the 20" rifled barrell and open sights for deer drives. 1oz sabot slug and I am very comfortable shooting about 75 yds. For stand hunting during gun I love my traditions 50 cal inline.

Major Woods 01-19-2011 03:39 AM

When I do drives I just turn down the zoom to 3x, shot several deer with the shotgun this way.

Rebel Hog 01-19-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pro-Line (Post 3760030)
With the 3 shot limit that Ohio carries...an autoloader isn't that big of an advantage.

For me...any shooting at moving/close game is better done with open sights. Everyone is different, though.

Same here in Florida!

UncleNorby 01-20-2011 08:09 AM

Another 870 pump with smooth bore, with or without scope? Same fit and feel (stock, safety etc) as your other gun. Smooth bore will shoot rifled slugs to the range you're talking about and they are a whole lot cheaper. I thought of just getting another barrel for the current 870, but I know a lot of guys don't like to swap barrels once they get them shooting right.

warbirdlover 01-20-2011 03:34 PM

While I don't like deer drives anymore the 870 shotgun should work great. You need something that points fast and that you can get on a deer that's going full bore (usually). Not an easy job.

rg87 01-21-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by UncleNorby (Post 3760826)
I thought of just getting another barrel for the current 870, but I know a lot of guys don't like to swap barrels once they get them shooting right.

it took forever to find sabots that would group in my 870 so i can see people being reserved. i have this stoeger that i have lying around that i thought would be be a decent base. i like the idea of the autoloader but i guess i didnt really notice much time being wasted working the pump action of the 870. i was just trying to get more use out of the guns that i have. every gun i have has a purpose for teh most part and i wanted this guy to be a drive gun but i guess i could use my wingmaster then