Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you shoot at running deer?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

If a deer is crippled at all from a previous shot I will shoot as much as possible. I hunt with a single shot rifle so I make the first one count. I know guys who can probably hit a deer running better than one standing cause they have hunted with dogs or making drives their entire life.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Many times, I have shot running deer, but never an away shot. Quartering and broad side shots are the only ones I will take at any running animal. If you know your weapon and have done it before it is not that hard. Not every one should try this shot but an experienced hunter who knows the rifle and aim points can achieve great success.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

I have to laugh when I read people using "ethics" for lack of shooting skill!!!!

In the west if you cant shoot a moving target you wont fill many tags. Rule of thumb:
walking-let them walk into your crosshair, then fire. Trot (mule deer have a distinct stiff legged bounce) cross hair at front of chest. running- chest high, under the chin.

Put a piece of cardboard in a tire and roll it down a hill, you'll get it.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

I will take running shots almost every year. With good success, and only chance at stocking freezer, I feel confident taking these shots, only if; 100% sure of background, and have a decent opening and good rest. Firing off shots in the heavy brush at running deer should be passed up for a better opportunity.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

When we used to push hedge rows in the fingerlakes, we seldom had anything else but running shots (slug guns at the time). We used to do alot of bird and bunny hunting with the same guns, and practiced with slugs off season. Most shots were at relatively close range (25-50 yards). It was seldom a 12 gauge slug wouldnt topple a deer along for a quick follow up, if it wasnt a kill shot. I no longer attempt running shots, I am not kept in practice enough, and have plenty of opportunity at slower moving targets.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Where I gun hunt we put on "drives" or "pushes" whatever you wanna call it. I've been hunting for nine years now, I got my sixteenth and seventeenth rifle deer this year. of the 17 all but 2 were at a trot or run. I did lose one one time. I think I must have hit it too far back. It was raining hard that day, and I just couldn't follow the trail. I tried hard tho. I practice shooting squirrels with my .22, We've done the tire trick a few times for fun. And I just try and shoot a little every day.
I hunt with a bunch of old guys, mostly great uncles. So I've been the dog my entire life, which I'm fine with. But gotta be quick to shoot sometimes.
-Jake
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

I don't shoot at running deer unless we are running dogs.But don't do that very often.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Spike

Only if they're not standing still. I prefer standing shots any day, but often they're just not standing. I have killed several deer running flat out. I have missed a few, and have had to use follow-up shots on occasion, but I won't let the fact that he's running stop me from shooting at him.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

I choose not to, Because, I want to be sure of my shot before i shoot any animal. And when a deer is running its not the most prepared shot lol., Like i said if im going to shoot at a animal i want to know that i have a good shot and that im going to take this deer down the most humane way i can. Just my opinion. I have clipped a deer's leg before and i felt awful. So i made a vow that day to be sure of my shots before i shoot.
But if some hunters can make a good shot at a running deer, I say go for it. Just not for me.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

i like to say not to,but wherever ive got a buck in front of me i freak out and start shooting.Extreme case of buck fever over here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.