Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you shoot at running deer?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by A11en
As stated by others - with a rifle.... no. With a shotgun.... yes.
Originally Posted by A11en
These were killed with slugs - not buck shot
Ok, so I'm confused... Explain to me why a shotgun with slugs is better for running game than a rifle? One projectile is one projectile... Buckshot SUPPOSEDLY gives a distinct advantage on running game over a rifle by having a spread pattern, but I fail to see the difference between a 12ga slug and a .30-06 on running game?

One projectile is one projectile... I guess I just don't get it...
Old 01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a buck this year that was running, but I caught him as he was turning and he had slowed down. He went about 20 yards. I have shot other running deer before and not missed. I will do that with a rifle but not with a bow.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Did it once, regretted it, never again.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Spike

Being a dog hunter, yes.... only if I'm pretty sure I can make a good shot.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Ok, so I'm confused... Explain to me why a shotgun with slugs is better for running game than a rifle? One projectile is one projectile... Buckshot SUPPOSEDLY gives a distinct advantage on running game over a rifle by having a spread pattern, but I fail to see the difference between a 12ga slug and a .30-06 on running game?

I read an article years ago, it explained that a shooter is more apt to shoot instinctively with a shotgun. And most experienced shooters shoot actually quite well when shooting that way. A rifle shooter is busy lining up sights or crosshair and a shotgun shooter is simply sighting down the barrel.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Spike

I shot running deer (not shot at) up untill hunting with dogs was outlawed in my part of the state. You just gotta lead them a little. I usualy could end the race with 1 shot.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Gun season sees my party doing drives after opening weekend - from then on (and even before due to high deer pressure, and neighbors doing drives) deer are moving around/running when you see them. if you can't shoot a deer running then you're not going to shoot many deer. Last year shot an 8 point starting a drive, i had to run to get a clear shot at him and he was running quartering away about 100 yards away, and no matter what you did he wasn't going to slow down. couple years before that in about the same area starting the same drive, shot a 10 pt that was again running quartering away maybe 50-75 yards away, dropped him his tracks.

this year i actually missed a nice buck, i was posting and he was coming almost straight at me so i was trying to wait for him to turn broadside, and when he was probably 20 yards away he saw me move my rifle around a tree and went straight away from me... a couple minutes later and a doe came down the same trail so i didn't give her a chance - shot her quartering to and she dropped. had i done that with the buck instead of waiting for a stopped/more quartering shot he would be on my wall instead of running around in the woods still.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

I kind of wondered this too. When I initially saw him say shotgun, I assumed buckshot, but with slugs I don't see the difference really between it and a rifle.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up 95% of my hunting......

is done w/ a bow, so mark me down as a no. In my area there is really no need to shoot at a running doe, there will be 5 or 6 more along (walking) in a few. You guessed it, waaaay too many doe up here.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rifle? NO! Shotgun with buckshot? Yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.