HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   moon overhead & moon underfoot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/33818-moon-overhead-moon-underfoot.html)

jason3434 07-23-2003 12:15 PM

moon overhead & moon underfoot

how do I determine when the moon is overhead or underfoot. Is it the major times on the solunar tables? And is it really neccesary to schedule hunting times around these predictions? I know there are other factors, such as food plots and bedding areas, so If I have a stand in the middle of a food plot would I benefit from going on the predicted times. Here are some pics of my stand...the back is a food plot with soy beans...and the front has a small cornfield.

jason3434 07-23-2003 12:18 PM

RE: moon overhead & moon underfoot

here is the small cornfield... any suggestions would be helpful... p.s. I have a permit to hunt right now because the deer have been eating my crops. They are always eating the soybeans, but its hard for me to catch them.

timbercruiser 07-23-2003 12:19 PM

Never heard of an underfoot moon..... I don' t especially like to hunt during the full moon time, but I usually just hunt regardless.

jsasker 07-23-2003 03:17 PM

Get out there and hunt!You can hunt right now and your here asking us what to do?

thundermug 07-23-2003 03:39 PM

Overhead is when it is as high inthe sky as it can get, underfoot means it' s on the other side of the world. Wether you should hunt feeding areas or transition areas depends on the moon position. Overhead and underfoot are the same as for where you should hunt. and wether it is rising or falling will also describe the hunting area.

Solunar tables will describe major and minor feeding times yet not all deer will be as predictable as those tables, however fish will be.

Hawgz 07-23-2003 05:15 PM

Underfoot happens 12 hours after overhead....

whitetails & muskies 07-23-2003 06:12 PM

Hawgz hit on the bullseye.

Full moon, I have defintely noticed much more activity in mid day hours, with much less than normal at prime time hours. " Supposidly" full moon underfoot is prime time. That would make sense, because there have been times when during fall prime time, and a full moon, that I went out of the cabin at midnight to take whizz and the full moon is high and bright....next day the morning sucks and the mid day is good.

But, and this is the big but, I get out when I can in fall.....like I have said before, I would pay anything for about 9 months of November!! There just isn' t enough time.

Rickmur 07-23-2003 06:18 PM

I think Deer & Deer Hunting magazine offer the moon guide for sale or maybe as a gift for subscribing ?

loner 07-24-2003 07:40 AM

go to espn outdoors for a solunar chart with this info.i print several of these from different sites beginning in oct. and compare the best hunting times then use the time periods that are close to one another.sometimes they are on the money and other times they are useless.it depends on food availability,location,weather,pre-rut,rut,post rut etc.these charts are avilable on most outdoors websites.

kevin1 07-24-2003 08:30 AM

I' ve only observed what I would call a slight increase in activity that might be attributed to moon phase . Or it might not . There are much more reliable indicators than the Farmer' s Almanac , focus more on scouting rubs , scrapes , and bedding areas . Your eyes and ears will tell you more than a solunar table ever will , and they' re right more often .

jerseyhunter 07-24-2003 05:58 PM

I wouldn' t wait and plan my hunt around the moon ,I hunt whenevev I can. As Muskie said on a bright full I see less activity in the am and more between12-2 However that doesn' t stop me from being on stand BRIGHT :)and early.

Vinny_HC 10-06-2011 02:21 PM

Where can one find historical data for moon overhead/underfoot so I can compare to my cameras?

Stonewall308 10-06-2011 02:28 PM

Paying attention to the temperature, the wind, the deer sign, and the presence or absence of the rut is enough. I don't pay any attention to the moon, but just try to spend as much time as possible in good locations as possible especially when it is cold and calm wind.

Deer movement is really not that predictable despite what reading or TV might tell you. Yes they won't be moving if it is oppressively hot. And they might not like moving if it is so windy they can't hear. But these are trends not absolutes.

Vinny_HC 10-06-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stonewall308 (Post 3857545)
Paying attention to the temperature, the wind, the deer sign, and the presence or absence of the rut is enough. I don't pay any attention to the moon, but just try to spend as much time as possible in good locations as possible especially when it is cold and calm wind.

Deer movement is really not that predictable despite what reading or TV might tell you. Yes they won't be moving if it is oppressively hot. And they might not like moving if it is so windy they can't hear. But these are trends not absolutes.

I actually just read an article by Bill Winke who interviewed Dr. Grant Woods. Dr. Woods changed his view on the relationship between the moon and deer movement stating it was much less predictable based on recent research....see article here.

rh160kid 10-06-2011 03:52 PM

Its a real crap shoot asking about the moons affect on deer movement on this forum-or really anywhere for that matter. You have guys that believe and swear by moon phase and position (like I do), and you have other guys that dont believe it has anything to do with deer movement at all. I will just say this, I have 5 deer that I have considered big enough to have mounted in my life. EVERY one of them was taken in the 4-5 day window on either side of the second full moon after the autumnal equinox, aka rutting moon. Coincedence?? Maybe, but I dont believe that it is. I take my vacay time every year during this window on both sides of the rutting moon. Thats just my oppinion. That being said there are MANY factors that can alter deer movement during this period. Weather, hunting pressure, temperatures, etc all play a factor. One thing is for sure- no matter what the moon phase or position, time on stand is the big factor. The more you put in the better your odds, AND NO ONE CAN DEBATE THAT!!!!!

Vinny_HC 10-07-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by rh160kid (Post 3857594)
EVERY one of them was taken in the 4-5 day window on either side of the second full moon after the autumnal equinox, aka rutting moon. Coincedence?? Maybe, but I dont believe that it is. I take my vacay time every year during this window on both sides of the rutting moon. Thats just my oppinion. That being said there are MANY factors that can alter deer movement during this period. Weather, hunting pressure, temperatures, etc all play a factor. One thing is for sure- no matter what the moon phase or position, time on stand is the big factor. The more you put in the better your odds, AND NO ONE CAN DEBATE THAT!!!!!

Ya the rut timing based on the moon I have not investigated yet but I was more referring to deer movement times each day depending on the Phase of the moon. I want to get out this year to definitely test out Charles Alsheimer chasing predictions. I am a little skeptical since the area I hunt up here in Alberta always sees the rutting activity kick off the last week of November. We'll see I guess.

P.S. The article about predicting deer movement and Dr. Grant Woods retracting his belief in some the moon correlation I mentioned earlier is here.

Night Crawler 10-08-2011 12:14 PM

I have proven to myself this concept. The omly time I deal with a moon issue is full. Full moon I hunt a good food or water scource from 10 till dark, and sleep in. much like now. Comming up on full. Been in stand since 11 am. Had 10 does around 2pm. Full rutting moon, well I am in stand all day.

freebirdfb 10-08-2011 01:25 PM

I don't think there is much of a need to worry about the moon, and Nightcrawler has an excelent point. Most of us have heard that the moon control the tides of the sea (or water in general.) This means the full moon is really the only phase to pay attention to. Think about the amount of water that is in blood and muscle tissue. A persons mood can change, some women want to be more romantic and it seems like other people are a little more crazy during a full moon. This is because of the water content within us and animals.

With all that is said, get out and enjoy hunting.

Vinny_HC 10-11-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by freebirdfb (Post 3858380)
This means the full moon is really the only phase to pay attention to. Think about the amount of water that is in blood and muscle tissue. A persons mood can change, some women want to be more romantic and it seems like other people are a little more crazy during a full moon. This is because of the water content within us and animals.

Just curious why you think the full moon would have more impact than other phases of the moon? It is bright sure enough as it is on opposite sides of the earth from the sun, but from a lunar-pull standpoint wouldn't moon overhead (no matter what the lunar phase) be the most significant?

Night Crawler 10-11-2011 09:45 AM

for anyone who asked the moon overhead time would be 6hrs after moon rise and moon underfoot would be 6hrs after the moon sets

freebirdfb 10-11-2011 02:42 PM

Just curious why you think the full moon would have more impact than other phases of the moon?
I was just simply making refernce to the moons afect on water, its a strange thing. I'ld rather get to know a certain hunting area and be familiar with the wildlife habits. Patterns certainly change, but once a history (either just being familar with the deer or if journals are kept) is built of game movement we can have an expectation of what they will do.

Night Crawler 10-12-2011 06:50 AM

Here you go, prime example why I don't go by the moon other than full which I hunt all day.

Got a call from father in law yesterday. He spotted a shooter crossing the road from where my wifes stand is located and heading down to a swamp where my stand is located. At 6:15 AM he was on the move. Well look at the nice hunting time apps I have on my phone. Full Moon (check) best time to hunt 11pm to 1am and 11am to 1pm moon overhead and moon underfoot time. Wrong!!! phone gizmo, lunar go byer's. Had I not been working for a living I would have been in my stand and would have seen this here buck most likely @ 1st light.

Now, we did have some weather move in. Thats why Mr. Buck was on his feet. I have trail cams at both stand sites and it would be cool to see his face at both.

So like many other I pay no attention to Lunar data (except full, which I hunt all day)

My Golden rule:
Barometric pressure is a sure fire tactic for all things game. Storm comming they are gonna move, storms leaving they are gonna move. Storm here they are not going to move, storm gone high pressure sets in they may move they may not.

MZS 10-12-2011 06:59 AM

Full moon is what some mischievious high school kids do out of car windows. If this is happening next to your stand, best to wrap it up for the day.

doetrain 10-13-2011 07:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I know very little about the moons effect upon the movements of deer compaired to those of you who have hunted and studied this issue for years. I have been out twice this week and this is what I have noticed since the moon has been full. No deer movement in my area of southern Indiana in the evening hours in spots I almost always see many deer. I have hunted the woods where they pass through to get to the corn fields and they seem to be moving into them after dark. After leaving the woods I drive to the areas where they cross over into the woods from their bedding areas then the fields and wait for them to pass and have seen nothing. But this will not stop me from getting out there because I know they will use these travel corridors yet again just before dark sooner or later. The sunset last night was excellent to watch from my tree stand. I have a couple of pics that show where I normally see them out in the fields.

Vinny_HC 10-13-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by doetrain (Post 3860625)
I have been out twice this week and this is what I have noticed since the moon has been full. No deer movement in my area of southern Indiana in the evening hours in spots I almost always see many deer.

Exactly what I have experienced. As well I notice that my game cameras show very little movement during the day even in the woods. I just don't like full moons lol.