Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 moon overhead & moon underfoot >

moon overhead & moon underfoot

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

moon overhead & moon underfoot

Old 07-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: moon overhead & moon underfoot

I wouldn' t wait and plan my hunt around the moon ,I hunt whenevev I can. As Muskie said on a bright full I see less activity in the am and more between12-2 However that doesn' t stop me from being on stand BRIGHT and early.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Where can one find historical data for moon overhead/underfoot so I can compare to my cameras?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

Paying attention to the temperature, the wind, the deer sign, and the presence or absence of the rut is enough. I don't pay any attention to the moon, but just try to spend as much time as possible in good locations as possible especially when it is cold and calm wind.

Deer movement is really not that predictable despite what reading or TV might tell you. Yes they won't be moving if it is oppressively hot. And they might not like moving if it is so windy they can't hear. But these are trends not absolutes.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
Paying attention to the temperature, the wind, the deer sign, and the presence or absence of the rut is enough. I don't pay any attention to the moon, but just try to spend as much time as possible in good locations as possible especially when it is cold and calm wind.

Deer movement is really not that predictable despite what reading or TV might tell you. Yes they won't be moving if it is oppressively hot. And they might not like moving if it is so windy they can't hear. But these are trends not absolutes.
I actually just read an article by Bill Winke who interviewed Dr. Grant Woods. Dr. Woods changed his view on the relationship between the moon and deer movement stating it was much less predictable based on recent research....see article here.

Last edited by Vinny_HC; 10-07-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Its a real crap shoot asking about the moons affect on deer movement on this forum-or really anywhere for that matter. You have guys that believe and swear by moon phase and position (like I do), and you have other guys that dont believe it has anything to do with deer movement at all. I will just say this, I have 5 deer that I have considered big enough to have mounted in my life. EVERY one of them was taken in the 4-5 day window on either side of the second full moon after the autumnal equinox, aka rutting moon. Coincedence?? Maybe, but I dont believe that it is. I take my vacay time every year during this window on both sides of the rutting moon. Thats just my oppinion. That being said there are MANY factors that can alter deer movement during this period. Weather, hunting pressure, temperatures, etc all play a factor. One thing is for sure- no matter what the moon phase or position, time on stand is the big factor. The more you put in the better your odds, AND NO ONE CAN DEBATE THAT!!!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rh160kid
EVERY one of them was taken in the 4-5 day window on either side of the second full moon after the autumnal equinox, aka rutting moon. Coincedence?? Maybe, but I dont believe that it is. I take my vacay time every year during this window on both sides of the rutting moon. Thats just my oppinion. That being said there are MANY factors that can alter deer movement during this period. Weather, hunting pressure, temperatures, etc all play a factor. One thing is for sure- no matter what the moon phase or position, time on stand is the big factor. The more you put in the better your odds, AND NO ONE CAN DEBATE THAT!!!!!
Ya the rut timing based on the moon I have not investigated yet but I was more referring to deer movement times each day depending on the Phase of the moon. I want to get out this year to definitely test out Charles Alsheimer chasing predictions. I am a little skeptical since the area I hunt up here in Alberta always sees the rutting activity kick off the last week of November. We'll see I guess.

P.S. The article about predicting deer movement and Dr. Grant Woods retracting his belief in some the moon correlation I mentioned earlier is here.

Last edited by Vinny_HC; 10-07-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have proven to myself this concept. The omly time I deal with a moon issue is full. Full moon I hunt a good food or water scource from 10 till dark, and sleep in. much like now. Comming up on full. Been in stand since 11 am. Had 10 does around 2pm. Full rutting moon, well I am in stand all day.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think there is much of a need to worry about the moon, and Nightcrawler has an excelent point. Most of us have heard that the moon control the tides of the sea (or water in general.) This means the full moon is really the only phase to pay attention to. Think about the amount of water that is in blood and muscle tissue. A persons mood can change, some women want to be more romantic and it seems like other people are a little more crazy during a full moon. This is because of the water content within us and animals.

With all that is said, get out and enjoy hunting.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by freebirdfb
This means the full moon is really the only phase to pay attention to. Think about the amount of water that is in blood and muscle tissue. A persons mood can change, some women want to be more romantic and it seems like other people are a little more crazy during a full moon. This is because of the water content within us and animals.
Just curious why you think the full moon would have more impact than other phases of the moon? It is bright sure enough as it is on opposite sides of the earth from the sun, but from a lunar-pull standpoint wouldn't moon overhead (no matter what the lunar phase) be the most significant?

Last edited by Vinny_HC; 10-11-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

for anyone who asked the moon overhead time would be 6hrs after moon rise and moon underfoot would be 6hrs after the moon sets

Quick Reply: moon overhead & moon underfoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.