Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTER shot in chest

Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Spike

Default HUNTER shot in chest

Anyone here or know the guy that was shot in the chest in iowa and lived. Someone was looking over him that day..LUCKY MAN
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Shot in the chest with what? Thats a tough area to be hit in with a large caliber bullet.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Spike

Here's the article:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...an-to-hospital

Ron
Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Ron. Man, not a slug. Maybe 00 9 pellet? I hate to hear these types of stories. BLAZE ORANGE is sooooo bright.........Is it the fact that 00 buck shot allows more room for error? I have hunted shot gun and rifle for deer. Heck my huntin buddy hunts shot gun and thats it. He'll fire away at a running deer boom boom boob.... I use the one well placed shot, one kill idea. Always looking through a scope and seeing grey, brown hairs and where I want to hit the animal. If I'm staring at a bead and an area of deer .......sure is easy to see BLAZE ORANGE...........
Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Spike

I use the one well placed shot, one kill idea. Always looking through a scope and seeing grey, brown hairs and where I want to hit the animal
Well said ripsystems! I grow up hunting deer in Iowa, I never used 00 always a slug and if I could not do it in one shot there would be no shoot.
I have hunted with some large pheasent hunting parties and those sweeping shotgun shots have caused the same problem only not as serious.

I do hope this hunter is doing ok. My prayers go out to him.

Ron
Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Thats crazy

Sounds like it may be just another made up story t protect the shooter ?
Anyone no for sure if the shooter actual hit a deer or was shooting at one ?
So was it doe season or buck only ?? Big difference but shouldnt be .
Hope the guy who got shot is o.k. .

I,ve had shots at some very nice bucks but didnt . (hunters 200 yards away but in line with the deer on the drive )
Thats part of hunting ,

NO WHATS BEHIND AND BEYOND YOUR TARGET ...
Some hunters just get to caught up in the (deer) moment .

Last edited by TRACKER; 01-11-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TRACKER
Some hunters just get to caught up in the (deer) moment .

I like the pun, ahahah
Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default "Sure is easy to see blaze orange"

I never had anything bad happen to me or anyone else, but had one close call with some kids swinging rifles on me when a doe ran across the trail between us. They didn't fire because they saw lots of orange, but I had thrown myself in the ditch along the trail when I saw the deer coming. I almost never hunt deer without full orange. That includes hat, coat or jacket with full sleeves, and pants. Most hunters on the mountain are using large backpacks. How much orange does that covor? It is orange camo material, but still is a lot of orange. I see a lot of guys with the legal minimum of a skimpy $1.99 vest and stupid orange baseball hat. An adjustable baseball hat when seen from the back has only about a 2" strip of orange showing. When looking at someone from the side in brush on a hillside or laurel, everything from the waist up is hidden. The cheap vests show no orange from the side-view at all. To top it off, most of these guys wear brown or grey camo pants, the exact color of a deer. I would never take a shot at something brown or grey moving in the brush, but if you can't see orange at all and shoot at a deer....
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

ive been shot twich while wing shooting,and countlesly peppered. hunting with buckshot is dangerous,and shoundent be leagal for deer.it isint where i hunt in kentucky
Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Spike

Well i just posted this to see what people would say. I am actually the guy that got shot lol. It was the worst day of my life and my buddy austin's " he's the one that shot me". there was 8 of us that morning and it was our first push of the day, we were was on a river bottom in boone county iowa. the push was over and right at the last second a doe busted out of the willows in between me and austin he shot once at it when it came out of the willows which is right next to the river, as the deer ran between us it would have to go up a hill so as it passed between us i raised my gun to shoot it austin shot 2 more times and i was hit with the 3rd shot. the slug that had hit me was a richochet off a tree and it hit me just to the right of my right nipple and exited out my back. I was airlifted to mercy hospital in desmoines where they found the slug inside my coveralls. the slug actually had a 1in fiber from my oarnge vest hooked to it. The slug didn't hit anything vital thankfully, i don't know how it didn't someone was looking over me that morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.