Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTER shot in chest

Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Another reason I don't like participating in drives. Did it once and one of the spotters shot their muzzleloader really close to me because they didnt' wait for the deer to clear them .....

Glad he is going to be ok
Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Spike

REALLY glad to hear your doing alright, pretty tricky with starting the post yourself LOL
I wonder the next time you hunt if it will be with a blaze orange BULLET proof vest!!!

Best wishes
Ron
Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

God bless you man. I don't do those kinds of drives. The only drives I do are solo stalking or me and my buddy, silently moving forward, stopping then the other moving forward. We stay about 50-100 yds apart laterally and move forward 40-60 yds at a time depending on the areas we are hunting. We never lose sight of each other and if a deer runs between us, it gets away.
I sometimes hunt with shotgun and buck shot but I always try to be as far away from other hunters as possible and usually in a tree stand shooting downward.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dang Coonhunter, somebody was looking out for you. Sounds like one of those hits that an inch either way would have been deadly. Was it a 12 guage shotgun slug that hit you?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Spike

It was actually a 20ga shooting rifled slugs through a smooth bore barrel. I don't know how it didn't hit anything major someone sure likes me up there. The scary thing is the push was all but done and my bestfriend was the closest pusher to the timber we were standing on the edge of and he was standing 20 ft behind me and if it wasn't me that the richochet hit it could have been him. As soon as i was hit i dropped my gun and took off running for the truck which was luckily only about 200 to 250yds away bad thing was i had to go up a hill first, but my adrenaline was pumping and i just knew i had to get the hell out of that river bottom. My one buddy chased me down and met me at the truck and drove me to a nearby town where we waited for the ambulance once they got there they couldn't find and exit wound and said my right lung sounded deminished so i was freaked out and going into shock. I was for sure i was gonna die but i knew i had to be strong cause i had a new baby boy at home "and yes his name is Hunter". So once i got to the hospital in DesMoines and they said i would be fine i knew it wasn't as bad as they had thought and i had thought also.. So yes next year i just might have an oarnge bullet proof vest lmao. The gun is actually the gun i bought for my GF for a christmas gift, and my buddy just borrowed it for that season lol..
Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

the irony, gettin shot by your own gun...glad your ok, definitely made the perception of the story change.
i think that would be my last drive. i only hunt with my closest buddies, and my kids...makin sure there is a controlled environment. hope yall set some new rules!!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Good thing to hear you're okay CoonHunter, it sounds like the tree absorbed most of the energy of that slug. Otherwise the shock would have really done (more of) a number on your chest. I also feel for your friend Austin, though. If I were him, and even if you do forgive him, this whole ordeal is going to be a hard one to live with.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Coonhunter, there is part of your story that doesn't add up. In your post you say "I was hit with the third shot. The slug that hit me was a ricochet off a tree. and it hit me just to the right of my nipple and exited out my back. I was air lifted to Mercy hospital in Des Moines where they found the slug inside my coveralls.
Then in your last post you say "ambulance, once they got there they couldn't find an exit wound".
I would have thought the first thing the EMT's would have done is cut the coveralls off to find the route of the slug internally and they would have been able to find the exit wound easily.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Coonhunter, there is part of your story that doesn't add up. In your post you say "I was hit with the third shot. The slug that hit me was a ricochet off a tree. and it hit me just to the right of my nipple and exited out my back. I was air lifted to Mercy hospital in Des Moines where they found the slug inside my coveralls.
Then in your last post you say "ambulance, once they got there they couldn't find an exit wound".
I would have thought the first thing the EMT's would have done is cut the coveralls off to find the route of the slug internally and they would have been able to find the exit wound easily.
are you calling bs?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

No, not necessarily, just curious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.