Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Corn ect.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Spike

Default Deer Corn ect.

Hey guys. Just started this year(late in the season) getting into deer hunting. My family has mainly done waterfowl on our rice/crawfish farm. I've been putting out small amounts of corn in an area where we've seen tons of tracks, some nice sized. We seldom see deer during the day when just being on the farm and like I said I got a late start so didn't sit in a stand much this year. I'm assuming these deer are mainly moving at night??

Am I doing right by putting out corn, and do deer ever start moving during the day during season(next season obviously)?? These tracks are in plowed rice field along a couple acres of overgrown/woody area.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Ya i put corn out to get camera pictures. But if you are hunting and that pile of corn is in front of you that is baiting, and that is illegal in some states. You would have to find the laws about it to know for sure.

Yes you will see deer early in the morning or right at about sunset usually. There are about three seasons, early,rut, and late season. For early season it is usually best to sit on a deer trail where the deer are moving. The rut is usually the easiest time to hunt usually. Now, if you arent familiary with the rut that is the breeding period for deer. This is when you are more likely to see more deer moving during the day, but it is still kinda rare to see a deer during miday. During the rut though the bigger bucks are out chasing after the does to breed. Finally then you have late season hunting. This is a good time to hunt over something like a bean field that wasnt harvested during the fall. You will see deer in fields cause this is when they are looking for food, that is if there is snow on the ground. The bucks burn weight chasing does in the rut so this is usually when they put that weight back on.

Your best bet as to finding out when the deer are out there though is to put a trail camera out by that corn pile. Cameras range anywhere from 50-250 dollars so that is up to you. I started out with some 50 dollar cameras and they got the job done, but i recently upgraded this year.

Hope my info helps you out.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Spike

Thanks man. Yes it's legal where I'm at. I put out a camera a couple days ago and got a feint outline photo of a deer that same night. I don't have a feeder so the day I put out corn they eat it all(couple handfuls). The photo was taken at about 11pm. It's located about 75 yds from my stand, which overlooks a clearing with thick grass.

Thnks for the response!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Don't put the corn in a pile. spread it out in the are in front of the camera. it will take them a while to pick it all up. Deer have evolved to feed quickly, then go lay down and digest their food. make them work for it!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Spike

yep i spread it out. There aren't many protein sources around my immediate area and all the bucks we've seen had smaller racks. What do you guys recommend as far as this and would you recommend feeding year round? Would you change feeding times/amounts during season?

Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

If you want your bucks to have bigger racks plant food plots. Food plots give
Them all the nutrients and protein that they need to get those big racks. Otherwise i know there are a lot of attracts like Antler King, Swamp Donkey, or Acorn rage. Antler King is suppose to make their racks grow bigger, but i have no proof of this yet. Hope that will help!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Spike

I'm going to have to move my cam and feeding location slightly because we are planting rice in the field next to the clearing I have my stand overlooking. Next spring(2012) however we may plant soybeans so I'm hoping this will keep the deer big.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Yes soybeans also will give the deer good nutrients.x
Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

NOOOOO dont pile food.theres a reason its illegal in some areas.deer,if eating together will eat from the same piles.if one of them has cwd i could be spead[like sharing cups]. get a feeder.It will spread the food pretty well,and up to three times a day
Old 01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

What is cwd?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.