Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shed hunting

Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Spike

Default shed hunting

howdy, i am looking for some advice on shed hunting. i promised my little girl some antlers this year, unfortunately i was not able to give them to her through normal means of hunting. so i am basically looking for any advice on looking for sheds.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Walk fence lines, brush rows, known trails. Walk through their bedding areas. Drive along fields with a good pair of Bino's and scan the fields looking for antlers sticking up. I have good luck at one property where the deer jump across a small creek.. It's in a spot where it narrows down, and a lot of deer cross there. So I find antlers laying in that area just about every year. If you know a spot where deer dip under a fence, or anything for that matter, rather than jumping over it... that'd be a good spot to check too. I've found with sheds it just takes alot of time in the woods and miles on the boots. Eventually you'll come across some somewhere.
-Jake
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Spike

when you're walking around, be sure to check behind you. Sometimes they can't be seen at one angle but can be seen at a different angle...so every 10-20 steps take a gaze on your backtrail.

I'm hoping to get my hands on some ivory this winter/spring as well.

Ben
Old 01-11-2011, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Its still a little early best times to look are late feb until green up.Check south faceing areas that warm up 1st food sources bedding areas trails leading to and from those areas.Remember deer are going to expend as little energy as possible at this time of yr.
If you want to find your child a rack other good places to look are spots where deer get hit by cars.Over the years I've found alot of racks by looking in those areas.When a deer is hit by a car they usually dont go to far they will go until they think whatever it was that hurt them isent after them anymore then they will lay down and die.Hope this helps you
Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walk, Walk, walk, walk. grid.

Go to where they feed and bed - go now especially if there is snow - If you don't find them now - you'll have a much much better understanding of where to look in a month. in most areas the are dropping now until 3/1.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Like it was said earlier, ya gotta put the miles on and look where the deer spend the winter.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Spike

thank you guys for all the advice, i really do appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

what hapopens to the deer antlers after spring untill next season?it just seems on good buck property like what i have without ever shed hunting their would be antlers EVERYWHERE
Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Spike

ussually critters get them
Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

90% of sheds ive ever found were in bedding areas, trails in and out of bedding areas.

best of luck to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.