Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This is a sad day

Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TNGal
Well it is official, The land we have been hunting for 16 years has been sold at auction Saturday January 8, 2011. Due to circumstances beyond the owners control she had to put up for auction. This land has been in her family for 5 generations. Now we are going to have to find a lease to hunt, and with the prices of leases I do not think we are going to be able to afford to pay for 2 people per year to hunt. My deer hunting days may be over.
Originally Posted by woodsman1977
Just so I understand......you want land to hunt private land but not have to pay anything??? Your not asking for much are you?

Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

If that makes you quit, you were never a hunter anyway.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

The land was still in her parents name, they Had to be put in a nursing home, the nursing home forclosed on the property. property was free and clear, just yearly taxes. I am not to pleased with the public land we have available, to many people hunting the land on any given day. We just feeled blessed that this family let us hunt and asked for nothing in return. We did help them out in any way we could, we helped cut hay, and any thing elese they needed done we were their. I am a hunter but with the times like they are it is just a little out of my reach right now to pay for a lease for my husband and I to hunt. So if it comes down to it he can hunt and I will stay home. We looked into leases we are being quoted $500 to $1000 per person.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Im just saying that if it came down to me not having any private land to hunt and not being able to afford a lease,I'd be hunting public land everyday of the week.Tn has some very nice public land,not all of its good,but some of it is,especially alot of the quota hunts that you have to apply for.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lease

Originally Posted by brushbustin
What part of TN you in? Im not renewing my lease membership this year because I have private land to hunt and don't need to pay to hunt it.It'll be between $225 and 250,loaded with deer,its bowater pines,and the hunting pressure isn't to bad. I only ran into a total of 5 people while hunting it and I hunt alot

Is that for the whole year?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that TNGal. I guess that's one thing I kind of take for granted here in WV. There's thousands of acres of WMAs here to hunt. I hunted one day of the second week of gun season and never saw another hunter all day. Surely TN has some public land near you.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
Is that for the whole year?
Yes, its 2900 acres,and its all flat to gently rolling, there are 27 hunters total on it,but 5 of them are strictly quail and bird hunters,so only 22 deer hunters,but like I said,only ran into like 5 people total,most of them live in Knoxville,about 1.5hrs away,so they don't get to hunt it as often as me,because I live 20 mins away..LOL It was nothing to see 10 deer in 1 sitting. The tennessee hunting unit its in, your allowed 2 does during archery,1 doe during muzzleloader,and then its buck only during rifle season. Your allowed 3 bucks for the whole season.You can take them anytime during the season,it can be during archery,ML,or rifle.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some good advice to newbies and young hunters in there

Never depend on one piece of property for hunting; even if you own it. Circumstances could make it a poor place to hunt, besides becoming unavailable for your hunting.

Never get so comfortable with one piece of land, that on a change you can't adjust to hunting new land.

Get the skills for hunting, where you can move into new land without getting lost, and are capable of finding new deer locations.

I have more than five spots that had homes and buildings located where my tree stands use to be. The addition of millions of people, over time, means stuff doesn't stay permanent.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brushbustin
Yes, its 2900 acres,and its all flat to gently rolling, there are 27 hunters total on it,but 5 of them are strictly quail and bird hunters,so only 22 deer hunters,but like I said,only ran into like 5 people total,most of them live in Knoxville,about 1.5hrs away,so they don't get to hunt it as often as me,because I live 20 mins away..LOL It was nothing to see 10 deer in 1 sitting. The tennessee hunting unit its in, your allowed 2 does during archery,1 doe during muzzleloader,and then its buck only during rifle season. Your allowed 3 bucks for the whole season.You can take them anytime during the season,it can be during archery,ML,or rifle.
Brushbustin,I'm moving to Hilham in the near future.I have 2 questions:1) how far from Hilham is this {Hilham is near Gainesboro}
2)could you PM me the info/contact # for this lease
I,m interested in becoming a member.
thanks
jerry