Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Iowa shed hunting?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Spike

Default Iowa shed hunting?

When do the bucks usually start losing there antlers in the midest or around iowa??
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Spike

please i need help? ttt
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Spike

anytime from now till april.many have shed in wis already.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Spike

Havent found any in Wisconsin yet, will let ya know if the trail cam reveals any that are droppin
Old 01-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

We live and hunt in North Central Iowa. We have found one shed already, and in a day of scouting we've seen around 80 deer, not a single one had horns on its head.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Sheds are dropping like dead leaves here in west central WI. I pulled my SD card yesterday and in the last week the buck with a horn is, or was an 8 now he only has one side and 5 pics with bucks that got holes in there head. It's time......
Old 01-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

It is definitely a local "phenomenon" much like the rut. It all depends on the diet of the deer during the period prior to the rut and directly after. After all, the reason the antlers fall off in the first place is the vitamins and nutrition that are there through the mating season have completely "dried" up (for lack of better terms, simply stated the bucks have used up all the stored energy). In areas where food is plentiful both orchards and plots, I have seen bucks that have maintained their horns until the first week of February, but now is definitely the time to pay attention when walking in the woods, as you will probably find some soon. Happy Hunting!