Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help! >

Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help!

For some reason I cannot hit a deer for the life of me with my 12 gauge 870 express. I missed twice this year, twice two years ago, once the year before that, and twice before that! I hunt the second part of the season in a shotgun only county, but the first half in a rifle area and I have knocked down a fair amount of deer with my 30-06 700ADL. But for some reason with my darn shotgun I always seem to choke. I get decent groups at the range with 2.75 inch copper solid sabots, but in all honesty since shooting a rifle is way more fun and not nearly as painful I dont tend to practice with the slug gun much. I really think it's %100 mental since I missed that first deer and it has gotten in my head since then. I have a couple solutions in mind:

1. Practice at least twice a month over the summer with the shotgun, its just a lack of confidence.

2. All the shots have been off-hand, since i sit in a box my father in law built and the sides are to low to use as a rest, so get a monopod to use as a rest.

3. Practice with the reduced recoil loads for practice just to get my confidence up and take one more variable out of the equation.

4. Last resort..and my favorite; BUY A NEW GUN (probably not most logical but any excuse for a new gun) been eyeing up the savage bolt action slug guns.

Any thoughts from veteran slug shooters?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Try to calm yourself down when you are taking those shots, that might help.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you had anybody shoot the gun to rule out "hardware" issues? If it's mental......................perfect practice makes perfect. Start shooting a lot more throughout the year.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

i had a problem with my mossberg 500 shooting slugs, i think it was me cause of the recoil. i wasn't scared of it i just didn't like it. but i shoot my .270 like a freaking pro. lol
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

I'd venture to say the reduced recoil slugs will knock bambi over.
Even in a 20 ga.

My son groups well with a mossy 500a ghost ring sites. Fist time using the gun, he grouped 2" at 30 yards.
I'd gladly give him the gun during rifle season.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good excuse to get a Savage 220F to me LOL. My 12ga Browning kicks the crap out of me with slugs but I shoot slugs all year long and have never had a problem killing deer with slug guns.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

You may be suffering from trigger creep shotgun triggers are not even comparable to a rifle trigger. If you jerk or slap a trigger on a shotgun it can drastically effect point of impact. Mentally remind yourself to squeeze instead of slap just an idea
Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

your flinching i had the same problem your prolly closing your eyes before the shot 2
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

How does ML recoil compare to a 12 gauge sabot? I toyed with the idea of geting an ML to use in the shotgun zone, that way I can hunt during ML season to. I would probably stick with a max 250 grain sabot and 100 grains of pyrodex pellets. I am guessing a ML has better balance and trigger than a shotgun.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

If your gun prints good groups I'd say just practice more. If your trigger is an issue, take it to a gunsmith and have them do a trigger job on it. I had my Mossberg worked over and it's not like a high quality rifle trigger by any means, but it's a whole heck of a lot smoother and lighter than it was originally. A ML may give you more of the feel of a CF than the shotgun does. If you have the $, go with a new muzzleloader. Any excuse for another gun is a good one.

rw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.