Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help! >

Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Spike

Default ML all the way!

Originally Posted by Northport buckslayr
How does ML recoil compare to a 12 gauge sabot? I toyed with the idea of geting an ML to use in the shotgun zone, that way I can hunt during ML season to. I would probably stick with a max 250 grain sabot and 100 grains of pyrodex pellets. I am guessing a ML has better balance and trigger than a shotgun.
I have never had any confidence in my shotguns, never knew where the bullet was going to go and I did not like that! I never had a rifled barrel for any of them so that may have been the problem, but anyhow bought a Remington 700 inline years ago, converted it over to shotgun primers and I shoot a 240 grain sabbot with 150 grains of pellets (3-50's) and it shoots skoal can groups at a 100 yrds. Not only do I have alot of confidence in this setup, it drops the deer in their tracks.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Spike

i have a hard time shooting slugs with a shotgun too. but i hate to talk to you like a kid but just take your time, be cool and have confidence. go into the shot like theres nothing on the line. you have nothing to lose.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Northport buckslayr
For some reason I cannot hit a deer for the life of me with my 12 gauge 870 express. I missed twice this year, twice two years ago, once the year before that, and twice before that! I hunt the second part of the season in a shotgun only county, but the first half in a rifle area and I have knocked down a fair amount of deer with my 30-06 700ADL. But for some reason with my darn shotgun I always seem to choke. I get decent groups at the range with 2.75 inch copper solid sabots, but in all honesty since shooting a rifle is way more fun and not nearly as painful I dont tend to practice with the slug gun much. I really think it's %100 mental since I missed that first deer and it has gotten in my head since then. I have a couple solutions in mind:

1. Practice at least twice a month over the summer with the shotgun, its just a lack of confidence.

2. All the shots have been off-hand, since i sit in a box my father in law built and the sides are to low to use as a rest, so get a monopod to use as a rest.

3. Practice with the reduced recoil loads for practice just to get my confidence up and take one more variable out of the equation.

4. Last resort..and my favorite; BUY A NEW GUN (probably not most logical but any excuse for a new gun) been eyeing up the savage bolt action slug guns.

Any thoughts from veteran slug shooters?

I experienced this problem myself and other than practice the main thing that helped me is getting some of the reduced recoil slugs, this really made a big, big difference. If you do get another gun, a muzzleloader would be a great choise. only 2 things I don't like about them is only one shot and the smoke after the shot.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

How far were the shots you think you missed?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

My Mossberg 500 with the rifled slug bbl kicks like a mule at the range. Never noticed it on deer though. At the range, you learn how to do the math and adjust your scope once with a second shot to prove the point and then that is enough.

I agree with some things others have said. Once you are mentally committed to the shot, you make the shot your priority. Focus and make it. Than get excited.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

All the missed shots have been from 50-80 yards.

I am guessing I'll have to wait til spring and make a few trips to the range to double check my groups with the 870. If things aren't where I want them it might be time to invest in a muzzleloader! Unles I see a good deal on one before spring, then it might be muzzleloader time anyway.

Another benefit or a muzzleloader is that it might make me concentrate more before pulling the trigger knowing I only have one shot.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like the kick of the gun is affecting your shooting a lot. Get a Simm's Limb Saver (or other top quality) recoil pad. It will make shooting that kicking mule seem like shooting a dove load. If you have room in the stand use a bipod instead of a monopod rest, or build a rest into the stand. The Limb Saver pads go on all new guns I buy, don't matter if there is a pad already on the gun or not.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

How does ML recoil compare to a 12 gauge sabot? I toyed with the idea of geting an ML to use in the shotgun zone, that way I can hunt during ML season to. I would probably stick with a max 250 grain sabot and 100 grains of pyrodex pellets. I am guessing a ML has better balance and trigger than a shotgun.
Bought a used TC Blackdiamond and though it's old and used it's a tack driver with 245 gr powerbelts and 100 gr pellets.
what kind of barrel are you using for you copper solids? It should be fully rifled and cantileavered for the scope. My 870 slug barrel I use winchester rifled slugs good out to 80 yds no problem. My 1100 w/fully rifled and cantileavered is good to go past 100 with 2 3/4copper solids though I prefer lightfields. Don't slap the trigger like your bird hunting and use a sling if you must shoot off hand. Better yet a rest. But practice makes perfect.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have a fully rifled barrell, I added a scope after the fact so that is put on with one of the b-square scope mounts. Maybe the b-square mounts aren't real stable?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a Browning A5 12 ga with a Hastings Paradox barrel and Win. BRI sabots and never had any problems taking deer with it..Been doing it since 1968..Using BRI's before Winchester bought them out...All BRI's were tested with Mossberg 500

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 01-04-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.